Ruby Red 'Simplicity II' Style Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

Here's one order that I received lately that wasn't for a Bamboo style - this is a style that I did several of a while back, and haven't for a while. I called the style 'Simplicity' for obvious reasons, and then with the addition of a custom nib section, added 'II' :))

By request, I made a matching pen rest for it.

IMG_7033_zps7b624b36.jpg

IMG_7036_zpsbacdd3bd.jpg

IMG_7046_zpscda57516.jpg

IMG_7047_zpscbdfebc7.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Simply elegant would be a good description, I do have a question though is the material Ruby Red Cebloplast? is so then it is spectacular!!

drgoretex

Thanks for the kind compliments!

In answer to 'how?' regarding the pillow, I'll try to be brief (I'm currently up north with poor internet access, my iPhone is my computer)

Take a 2" piece of acrylic, turned to a dia. That will fit in the collet, eg 3/4" (need collet chuck). Turn each end very flat. CA a waste piece onto each end. At least one will also have had to be turned to 3/4" already. Mount one end in collet, the other end supported by live center. turn the piece to just below desired dia. (eg 5/8 or 1/2). Shape the piece as desired ( in this case, round ends) but without parting off yet. Turn a groove in the middle. Sand with successive grits 400 to 12,000, and polish. Part it off. Wrap a few turns of masking tape around it so it fits snug in the collet, but leaves the unfinishes ends exposed. Finish turning, sanding and polishing the ends. Repeat for orher end.
Now unwrap. You should have a nicely polished peanut.

Next sand a plane onto it with a coarse beltsander, while trying not to lose your fingertips (could also use a disc sander lathe accessory). Then finish sanding the flat plane with successive grits on a very flat surface, up to 12,000, and polish.

Done!

Hope that was comprehensible. Doing this on an iPhone sucks :)

Happy turning!

Ken

Top Bottom