rough night but 1 completion!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Karin Voorhis

Karin Voorhis

Ok lets see. first after using Charlies pendent mold ( I Can Not say Enough great things about his molds!) and loving it I tried to turn it and wow just like glass shards everywhere and ouch ouch ouch...

Than I turned my own casted sprinkle blanks and BANG BOOM no more holiday sprinkle blank after that explosive blow out on both sides!

3rd times a charm after dumping ca all over both hands gluing up a coffee blank from Fred I than decided I had enough trying to get Ca off. So I decided for round 3. Pictures tells the results of me and My new skew I got as Christmas gift! :biggrin:

So Please Tell me the good and bad of how you perceive my Night of turning ended. Thanks!

Attachments

• turn1.jpg
    turn1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 312
  • turn2.jpg
    turn2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 285
  • coffee1.jpg
    coffee1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 398
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Wow, Karin! What a beautiful pen! Great finish, too.

Those coffee blanks aren't that easy either.

maxman400

The Pen Looks Great! But that looks like a huge bite to take at one time with a skew, but then again it just may be me I am kinda of chicken with a skew. LOL.

Karin Voorhis

Thanks. I was not sure on finish so I slowly added 10 coats of CA did not matter I was already covered in it.
As for the bite well it kind was more a catch and with my night I went with it slowly and tried very evenly and it worked this blank was not at all brittle in any way so I think the blank allowed for the bite to be that greedy and get away with it.
The skew is now becoming my friend and I am starting to do a lot of my pens with only the skew hence the new gift. :)

RAdams

Banned
You got more intestinal fortitude than me. If my shop time starts going left, I quit. Otherwise i usually get mad and break stuff.

CaptG

Nice job on the coffee bean blank. Your night got better with time and practice. You done good. BTW, Very nice pen.

jttheclockman

I too use the skew on all my pens. Just remember the skew may feel sharp being new but it can be even sharper and sharp is the key word. Always use a sharp skew. As far as the other things blowing up, maybe the skew wasn't sharp if that was the tool of choice. Or the blanks were just too brittle and too much hardener was used. Needs investagating. Good luck and good job on the pen.

One other note, evidently you do not have an adjustable mandrel. That is alot of spacers. I would have gotten the blank closer to the head stock and if I had to put the spacers on the tailstock end. Might want to look into an adjustable mandrel or try turning between centers. Just a thought.

Last edited:

snowman56

Karin
The ca will wear off.Sorry but you had me rolling.I bought a 16oz. bottle from rockler in Houston,put in the console when i got home and took out it had leaked out into the bag it was all over the console,seat and me.I t took a day or two but i did get of of me the seat was not so lucky.

Bree

Eenie Beanie Coffee Beanie!! You survived and scored a real nice pen to boot! You didn't glue your hands to anything so I would say that you did great!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ligget

The coffee bean pen looks fantastic, those are big cut you are taking in the first 2 pictures, make sure you have sharp tools and take very light cuts, this will help preserve the blanks a little!

low_48

What are you using to polish the CA? I think I can see some lines in it. Micro Mesh wet to 12000 grit will make it shine. I might also suggest that you use the skew a little differently. It looks like you are using it like a scraper, and it is really designed to be used for really light shearing cuts. Your shavings should look like whiskers, no dust at all. Check youtube for skew instructions. Ed also listed a video link recently, calling it a dirty video. I prefer to not put any CA on the coffee blanks, the smell lasts longer.

Pioneerpens

Looks great! I'm looking forward to trying my hand at the coffee bean blanks myself..I hope mine looks half as good. I will soon be attempting to cast a few blanks and see how that goes...

Top Bottom