Rotur Pen Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from donwatson

donwatson

Just finished this Rotur Fountain and Rollerball kit.
Wood is Ebony and the kit finish is Satin Chrome.

Attachments

• Ebony Pens 1.jpg
    Ebony Pens 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 285
  • Ebony Pens 2.jpg
    Ebony Pens 2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I like the simple smooth lines and simple trim. You did a nice job on these. What finish did you use? What is the kit and where do you get them?

sbell111

It looks like CSUSA's Artisan. Man, do I hate that kit.

If I may ask, why? I haven't done one like that yet and wonder if there is a reason I may avoid it, or what to look out for if I try.

I don't care for it for two reasons.

First, it uses a plastic insert to hold on the cap. This insert is kind of finicky to get installed perfectly correct and leads to maintenance issues.

Second, because of the way that the cap snaps on, there is no 'center band' insert pressed into the cap. This is an issue for two reasons, in my opinion. It leaves an unfinished edge of the blank visible and the raw edge of the tube can scratch the plastic nib section when the owner removes/replaces the cap.

donwatson

Thanks for the comments chaps.
@sbell111 2 good reasons why I won't be making any more of this design.
The shape is also bad but is a beginners error as explained by Walter on page 40 of his book.

take care
Don W

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Rotur Fountain Pen Kit Gold McQuillan Tools Online Store I wonder if anyone in the states will carry those. They look good..
The manufacturer only seems to offer volume discounts on slimlines and everything looks to be a bit pricey. They are, however, made in UK for those who might be a little happier with non-asian.

Smitty, I really doubt these crappy pens are made in the UK. More likely to be made by the Chinese company Planet Manufacturing and just imported.

BTW, McQuillan Tools is in Ireland, also not in the UK.

All kit resellers in the UK charge way over the odds for even the poorest kits. Decent kits are available but seriously overpriced.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Rotur Fountain Pen Kit Gold McQuillan Tools Online Store I wonder if anyone in the states will carry those. They look good..
The manufacturer only seems to offer volume discounts on slimlines and everything looks to be a bit pricey. They are, however, made in UK for those who might be a little happier with non-asian.

Smitty, I really doubt these crappy pens are made in the UK. More likely to be made by the Chinese company Planet Manufacturing and just imported.

BTW, McQuillan Tools is in Ireland, also not in the UK.

All kit resellers in the UK charge way over the odds for even the poorest kits. Decent kits are available but seriously overpriced.
You're probably right they do seem to be made by Planet --- tools with the Rotur name are said to be made in England I think the McQuillan site says that. They sound pretty decent.

donwatson

Thanks again for the comments guys, but I am thinking of disassembling the pens and turning the outside paralell. I was given this kit and will see what my friend says next week at the club meet.

take care
Don W

sbell111

Thanks again for the comments guys, but I am thinking of disassembling the pens and turning the outside paralell. I was given this kit and will see what my friend says next week at the club meet.

take care
Don W

I probably wouldn't do that.

Their current shape isn't displeasing and by turning it down farther, you are just giving the ebony an excuse to crack.

Top Bottom