Rotten wood for my boss

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bpgoldo

bpgoldo

I wanted to make a pen for my boss, a guy who I admire and deeply respect. So I started with Spalted Japanese Red Maple root. Yes...rotten moldy wood. When I presented it to him, I sort of left that information out. I Added some banding and a section of Exotic's gold and copper metallic flake blank. Who'd a thunk rotten wood could look so elegant? Thanks for looking, and as always your comments and suggestions are welcomed and enjoyed.

Attachments

• OLYMPIAN - BURNING EMBER I PIECE - 100kb - named.jpg
    OLYMPIAN - BURNING EMBER I PIECE - 100kb - named.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 437
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

What a fantastic pen! I wouldn't have thought rotten would could be so beautiful, but that's testament to the wonderful turner! Great pen!

OZturner

Spectacular Pen, Brian.
Did you Stabilized the Japanese Maple?
How soft or flaky was the Maple?
Or was it just Spalted?
Looks Great,
Congratulations,
Brian.

robutacion

Your work is unique mate, I'm glad you continue to share with everyone here what I saw from you, is not only the workmanship of your pens but and most importantly, the "composition" that is most different, I'm sure you will "wow" all of us with many more of your pieces/pens...!

Cheers
George

SteveAxelrod

I'm really impressed with this pen and was wondering if you would share what you used to make the white and black bands? The photos of the gold and copper metallic flake blanks at Exotic Blanks don't have any black in them. I'm guessing you painted the tubes and/or inside of the blanks black and that's why its background looks black?

As George (Robutacion) said, your composition made this pen uniquely beautiful. Inspiring!

bpgoldo

Regarding questions

Steve,
thanks for your kind words regarding the Olympian "burning embers" pen I posted. The black and white banding is actually guitar pick material. You can get it black/white/black or with red in the center band. Not too pricey. Saves a lot of time and is always very regular. I use it a lot. As you guessed correctly, I always paint the inside of the metallic flake black. It really makes a big difference by creating depth and contrast which makes the material work at it's best potential.

Top Bottom