Rotten Cedar to the Core

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buzzzz4

Buzzzz4

I cross cut some cedar to create a more dramatic looking cedar pen for a customer. After cutting and drilling, I found this opportunity for embelishment. A rotten area in the wood which ended up being much larger than the picture shows when turned down to the bushings. Mixed up some epoxy with some bronze mica, and slathered it on. Turned, sanded and finished with CA. Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• P3220639.jpg
    P3220639.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 332
  • P3220643.jpg
    P3220643.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 339
  • P3230639.jpg
    P3230639.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

What a great save and execution...!

I'm not familiar that that kit either but looks pretty damn good...!

No doubt, what you've done is the simplest and the most economical way to fill/repair those sort of areas/damages/problems. There is no waste of material nor all the steps needed with common casting and the results are exactly the same, when done properly, such as these case.

Many turners wouldn't take that extra step and simply would discard the barrel/blank but and like you said, sometimes opportunities are giving to you that you either take them or not, I'm glad that you did...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

ctubbs

Wonderful save and the resulting pen is beautiful. Thanks for the photos showing your process. I have tossed many blanks that were not that bad. Now I have a way to make a save. thank you very much for the information.
Charles

CaptG

Nice job Eric. On one of your next trips by, stop in and I have a log of red cedar in the shop you can cut a couple blanks off.

wizard

Eric, That is the most astounding save and you would never even conceive of that happening when you look at the beautiful pen you made. Inspiring!! Regards, Doc

Seer

Well done I did the same to a piece of Mesquite burl. Nice to get something from a rotted piece and have it turn out so nice.

Buzzzz4

Thanks! It is a jr. Gent ballpoint. A little larger than a cigar and IMHO a whole lot classier. In this process, I did find epoxy to be a better fill than colored CA for a large void.

dankc908

Many thanks for the idea, post, and pix. I have a piece of cedar that I just used a week ago to try some new tools, etc. still sitting on my desk. I told my wife it was going to the firewood pile. It isn't!!! I now have some fantastic and new ideas!!

Dan

Top Bottom