Rotating Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

After doing my first single cross lamination(see if Eagle notices), I thought a lot about other types of "rings" that didn't cross in the center. This is what I came up with using a free piece of Ash from Dario and some free Purpleheart from a local turner. It didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted it to, but I learned a lot from doing this one. The Purpleheart is 1/8" thick and should be only been about 1/16" max. The centerband is too big although I finished it exactly to the bushing. I might have mixed up CB from a couple of different Euro kits. I will probably replace it with a PH CB.

2005128151545_Circles1.jpg

2005128151827_pict0030.jpg

2005128151639_Circles3.jpg

So, fire away.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

I like the look! Great lines. To me the end cap might look better as one wood or have the two woods inlayed on a skew angle like those on the body. For me, the perpendicular lines don't seem to flow with the nice lines of the body.

Looks Really Really Good.

Here are some nit picking thoughts
I'd made the finial a little shorter and have more of a flow with the upper barrel.
Since you want to change the CB, did you think about a wood CB?

gerryr

Thanks for the comments. After reading Bruce's comment about the finial, I agree about the angle cut, didn't even think about that last night. My plan for the CB is to make it out of PH.

My original plan was that each ring would overlap the others quite a bit more, so the ash would show. That didn't work out, partly, maybe, because the PH was too thick and maybe the 45 degree angle needs to be changed. I'm beginning to think I need to have a CAD program to figure this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom