Rosewood Zen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John M

John M

Well, I finally got to make a Zen. I am still having problems with my CA finishes, it is really starting to get to me. I have no problem applying it, it is just sanding it. I go very easy on the sanding and still go through it. I have put as many as 10 coats on. But anyways, this was fun, although that is a long hole to drill. I ordered the pen online but forgot bushings, I went to Rockler and bought the bushing they said to use for their pen that looks just like it. The bushings are just a tad different sizes, seems like they should be the same, so the back of the pen is a tad skinny. I have another one, I have to decide what blank to use.

Attachments

• rosewoodzen.jpg
    rosewoodzen.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 455
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John M

I got the blank from Nolan, I should have mentioned that, he has some of the nicest blanks I have seen, I wish I would stop screwing them up, lol.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
That pen looks fantastic! I like pens that allow alot of the blank to show, like this one and the long click. I've not tried a Zen yet but after seeing yours, I must!

Rollerbob

You did yourself proud there ,John. Your finish from here looks pretty shiney!! Zen pens are beginning to grow on me!! Top notch!!:good:

John M

Thanks for the compliments.

The pen looks pretty good, but there are some dull spots. I cant tell if they are clowdy or what, they are pretty small, but they are there. I had sanded through in a few spots, so I put about 4 more coats on and resanded it. I was afraid to do any more so I left it.

ngeb528

John,

I don't bother doing much 'sanding' after I apply the CA finish. I was having the same problem. I will sometimes use the last 3-4 MM if there are any areas that aren't totally evened out.

It works for me, anyway.

John M

I tried that last night, I started at 4000, did not get it as shiney as I wanted. I just have to play with it more. I should do it on less expensive pens and blanks though, lol.

John M

The last one I did I put on about 5 or six coats. I have the lathe set at 1800 rpm. I sand with each grit lightly with it running, then stop and go long ways, then clean in between each grit. I am going to try the next one sanding without the lathe running.

Rollerbob

Why sand CA between coats? Apply ever how many coats you like say 3 to 5 and then wet sand with MM to 12000, polish and it should shine like new money!! Now I'm sure you will get other offerings on this . This is just the way I do it!!

John M

I dont sand in between CA, I just clean the grit off in between sandings. I start at 1500 and got to 12000. Seems even if I am really carefull I sand through. I use med CA and BLO. I need do it more and see what happens. Does everyone start at 1500 or is that to aggressive?

Rollerbob

My bad, misread. I start @1500. I probably run around 800 to 1000rpm and do a few passes with each ,making sure that each grit is taking the prior grits scratches.

John M

So when you hit it with the MM, you go across the blank say about 3 time or so? Even though I am doing it light, I may be over doing it. When I sand it, I move the MM back and forth sort of fast, and I know I go more than a "few" times. I will slow it down more too, I will try it around 800 rpm nex time. I would really like to get a adjustable speed lathe so I dont have to keep moving the belt.

Top Bottom