Rosewood and Maple Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

This is Rosewood that dubdrvrkev gave to me with Maple burl accents on a CSU Snap Cap. I have had lots of failed segments lately so I needed to do something different. I have been dying to try this design after seeing it in Russ's PMG album but have kept putting it on the backburner. I also wanted to do something special with Kevin's gift.

20063873320_Rosewoodclosed.jpg

20063873332_RoseWoodOpen.jpg

As always comments and critiques are welcome. I just made a photo booth and these are the first pictures I have posted from it. Not perfect but tons better than what I have been posting from my scanner.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Mike I really like this design. How did you do your clip, I don't see a seam? I've been thinking about something but haven't tried it and it looks like you may have beat me to it. LOL I've got several of the Panache kits on order in the group buy and I plan on doing some closed end pens with them.

Again, good work.

Wayne

vick

Originally posted by wayneis
<br /> How did you do your clip, I don't see a seam? I've been thinking about something but haven't tried it and it looks like you may have beat me to it. LOL

Well technically Wayne Russ beat you to it. As far as I know he was the first one to make the invisible clip. I am suprised you have not seen it before I have been posting this style clip for about a year now and the tutorial was on the front page for about 6 months.
http://www.penturners.org/content/InvisibleClip.pdf
Drop me a line if you have any questions about the tutorial.

Thank you everyone for the kind words, as far as compliments to the design I would like to make sure everyone understands it is a shameless copy of Russ's design.
http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/fairfieldr/fairfieldr08.jpg
The only difference is that he used a screw cap, seemed to have a little more taper on the top of the cap and bottom of the body, and had a little larger centerband. I feal a little weird about this one because I usually try to change a design a little more than this, but I loved his version so much I did not want to make any major changes

Mike,

Great job on the pen, I see a lot of careful detailed work there at the transition, I need to try one of these too, the clip is my stumbling block...not sure how you did that but it looks great.

[:D][:D][:D]

chigdon

Great job. I love the design (I love Russ's pens) and the wood combination looks great and I don't know that I ever would have thought about them together.

DFM

Nicely done, but it looks like your clip is crooked, is that an optical illusion?

dubdrvrkev

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Simply beautiful. A classic.

Agreed. The finish looks great too.
And to think I was using that wood to make a hammer. I might have some more scraps you may be interested in. Oddly enough from another mallet.

vick

Thanks again everyone.
Jim - Yeah you should be seeing this one.
Kevin - a hammer! Always interested in scraps I am running short on wood[:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom