Roses

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dave_M

Dave_M

OK, I haven't been able to get to the lathe lately, but I finally found the time to finish one.

Rose Petals cast in Alumilite on a Majestic Squire kit. Special thanks to Greg and Jay for shortening my learning curve by sharing their experiences. Not exactly the look I was hoping for, but what I learned on this one will go a long way in helping me achieve my goal with the next one.

I'm very interested in your comments and please feel free to be very critical.

Thanks,
Dave

1_IMG_2194.jpg

1_IMG_2191.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

I think it looks amazing! Not sure what you were hoping for, but you should be very proud of it! I really don't see anything wrong with it. Good job!

rej19

Excellent! Is that clear alumilite with a white tube? It looks like I can see shadows of the petals.

Last edited:

Dave_M

Yes it's the clear alumilite with about 5 coats of CA on top so yes you can see shadows of the rose petals. Because of the edges of the rose petals extending to the alumilite surface, it really needs a top coat of some kind to seal it. I painted the inside of the drilled hole instead of the tube. I was looking for a slightly textured antique white but it turned out a bit too bright for me. I need to tone down the white just a bit and warm it up.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

djwood1

I think you did a great job on it! I've never tried doing anything like that, but that looks sharp and it makes me want to try. Hope I can make one that looks half that good!

drjpawlus

Technically very well done. One thing that kinda jumps out at me regarding this pen however if that one would never know that those are rose petals. I have seen some amazing pieces with complete feathers in them. The petals sort of look like they were run through a blender. Even if they were fuller, not even necessarily complete, I think it would have a more delicate appearance. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom