Rose Petal Pen & Acorn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Draken

Thanks to JayDevin for the blanks, here's my first attempt at turning one of his blanks.
200861333929_RosePetalTapaCS.jpg

It is a bit larger than I'd normally do, but I didn't want to loose too much of the petal details by going slimmer. I also wanted to avoid some of the air bubbles which are lurking below the surface.

I drilled the blanks and spray painted them chrome. Used WeldBond to glue in the tubes that had been colored with a silver Sharpie. Used a sander to knock off the corners, then used a skew for the bulk of the removal process. Ended with the 80 grit gouge as I didn't want this one blowing up on me. Had a few voids to fill with CA, and some of the voids had chrome paint in them from the inside. Please let me know what you think, good, bad, or indifferent.

Jay also sent a split pea blank with the rose petal blanks. While I haven't yet had a chance to turn the pen, I did take the extra and make an acorn out of it. Comments on it are welcome as well. The color is pretty accurate in the photo, the split peas are more tan than green.
200861334412_SplitPeaAcornCS.jpg

These are the first pen photos I've taken with my new Nikon D80 DSLR, so I'm also open to any and all suggestions on improving the photos as well.

Cheers,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Photos look good. I would get a slightly more subdued background. And clean the fingerprints off your pens; that camera is showing ALL the details. [}:)][:eek:)]

The pen is nice. I'm realy glad you were able to get it turned OK too! Next time I would try a Sierra Vista so you can leave the blank thick to show off the petals and not have to make it quite so "pregnant". The Sierra Vista, Sedona and the Cigar are all good choices for this blank.

GK

Draken

Originally posted by gketell

Photos look good. I would get a slightly more subdued background.
I originally used black, lost too much detail in the pen. The wife suggested this blue. Perhaps I'll try a few more with either the pale green or white.
And clean the fingerprints off your pens; that camera is showing ALL the details. [}:)][:eek:)]
Noticed that, but not soon enough. [B)]
The pen is nice. I'm realy glad you were able to get it turned OK too! Next time I would try a Sierra Vista so you can leave the blank thick to show off the petals and not have to make it quite so "pregnant". The Sierra Vista, Sedona and the Cigar are all good choices for this blank.

GK
Didn't have any Sierra Vistas on hand, and the blank wasn't big enough for two part pens. I do have another blank courtesy of JayDevin that will become a full sized pen if it doesn't blow up. I can see a couple air pockets in it waiting to give me a challenge. I need to figure out a way to fill in the voids in the drilled hole before I paint it, so I don't get the silver "bubbles" that I got in this one. Perhaps your clear Pearlesant paint would do the trick.

I do hope to get to the split pea pen soon as well. It is glued up and ready to go, just not sure if I'll get any shop time this weekend. It's my daughter's birthday, she's turning 4. :D

Thank you again JayDevin for the blanks, glad I was able to do this one justice.

Cheers

bitshird

James, except for the preggers look, which I understand the reason for, I think the Rose Petal Sierra is a knock out, perhaps you could mix PearlEx with 5 Min. Epoxy for the glue, or mix it with some clear acrylic and paint the inside of the blank with a qtip ir long thin brush, I'm very glad to see that Jay was finally able to get the blanks so they would hold together to be turned, they are beautiful..

Top Bottom