rope twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

I have been playing with my MillLathe and here is the first completed pen with the rope twist...(a month early Anthony and Rich). Finished with lacquer. It is fun and I see more coming and I hope my technique gets better. I know the finishing will. Enjoy and as always, comment and critiques welcome...good, bad, or indifferent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20059296513_finished%20rope.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darley

Don your pen isnice look like he got more turns than the one Anthony made( 6 or 7 turns for the low barrel and 6 turns for the upper barrel I think? )you CB is pickguard? good contrasting color

its_virgil

Thanks Serge. I don't think I like the picguard with the twist. The jury is sill out on that for me. Maybe no CB and just one long piece of rope.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Darley
<br />Don your pen isnice look like he got more turns than the one Anthony made( 6 or 7 turns for the low barrel and 6 turns for the upper barrel I think? )you CB is pickguard? good contrasting color

Deere41h

Don.....Looks neat. I like the PG center band also. I hope I get to see it this week at SWAT. We'll be in Wichita Falls tonight through Sunday. Look forward to seeing you.

alamocdc

Don, the workmanship looks really good, but there is something about this pen that just doesn't sit right with me. It may be the CB... or maybe the rather abrupt break to the finial and nib assembly. If that transition was more gradual... [?] Keep up the good work though!

its_virgil

Frank: thanks. it feels ok while holding and writing with it. Not at all uncomforable.

John: Thanks also. I think I will bring the MillLathe to the penturning room and we can play with it during the freedom pen turning times. My phone number is 940.692.1525 or 940.224.6949 (cell). Call me if you need to get any directions or come over to visit. But of course, I will be there the whole time anyway.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

Billy,
I agree...something is not right to make the pen look as good as others I;v e seen. This pen is "spiral 001" and now that I've gone through about 40 practice blanks getting the spiral worked out, I will now try to make the spiral pens look much more pleasing. The transitions from the wood to the metal parts needs lots of refinement. Maybe I should go look at Anthony's and learn how to make it look nicer. Thanks for looking and offering your opinion. I value all of the IAP member's opinions. Who else knows pens better than we?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

rtjw

Very nice Don. I thought I might get to come up there and see yall this weekend. Unfortunately, work is busy and daughters first birthday is friday.

PenWorks

<br />Don your pen isnice look like he got more turns than the one Anthony made( 6 or 7 turns for the low barrel and 6 turns for the upper barrel I think? )

Serge, Virgil is a BIGGER BOY than me, he can twist that wood alot harder than I can [:D] But your right, his are probablly a 2" pitch to the twist.

Virgil, Looking real good ! [:)] Better late then never. Can't wait to see more, now that this is under your belt.

Darley

Originally posted by PenWorks

Serge, Virgil is a BIGGER BOY than me, he can twist that wood alot harder than I can [:D] But your right, his are probablly a 2" pitch to the twist.

Virgil, Looking real good ! [:)] Better late then never. Can't wait to see more, now that this is under your belt.

Yes I know Anthony, so be careful what you say to Don, [:D], I like the rope pen competition between both of you [8D]

PenWorks

Yes I know Anthony, so be careful what you say to Don, [:D], I like the rope pen competition between both of you [8D]

I can say what I want Serge, He is far, far away, and I run faster than him [:D]

Nice job, Don...I too was wondering about the comfort issue. I think I would prefe it twist to a standard round body near the point, say a third of the bottom barrel. It is a good rope twist though, and the cb should be either more decorative or gone completely IMHO. Keep em comin'.
Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom