Root cause

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

How many of you use the root for your pen blank? I've turned dogwood root and sycamore root, they both look great with grain and figure totally different from the trunk wood.
This is a comfort pen I just turned from dogwood root, I felt I was getting rusty from not doing any pens in a few months, sales are slack.
The other pic is the sycamore root to illustrate the root cause. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• dogwood-root-comfort-twist.jpg
    dogwood-root-comfort-twist.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 229
  • sycamore-rood-twist2.jpg
    sycamore-rood-twist2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 212

SDB777

When I can get them, I have no problems turning them.

But since I do mostly storm damage/blowdown removal for the logs...the dang stumps usually flop back down into the holes they were pulled from. And I ain't that young to dig 'em back out.

Nicely done! Was there any 'grit' in there?

Scott

Gary Beasley

But since I do mostly storm damage/blowdown removal for the logs...the dang stumps usually flop back down into the holes they were pulled from. And I ain't that young to dig 'em back out.

Scott

Nah, all the grit went with the bark. You should cut some roots off before the trunk is cut loose, they don't have to be really big to use them. I've never used them much over two inches across.
Whereabouts in Cabot you hang out? I grew up in J'ville. Used to play dirtbike in the Holland Bottoms in the mid 70's before they opened roads up into it.

SDB777

Scott

Nah, all the grit went with the bark. You should cut some roots off before the trunk is cut loose, they don't have to be really big to use them. I've never used them much over two inches across.
Whereabouts in Cabot you hang out? I grew up in J'ville. Used to play dirtbike in the Holland Bottoms in the mid 70's before they opened roads up into it.

Just past the nursing home on 2nd street headed to Austin.

Well, most of the time I don't think about the rootball until it's flopped, but I'll need to get some now that I've seen your turning....and I can easily crank up the pressure washer to get rid of the bark/grit too! Have make a note to myself or something on the next outting!!

Scott

Top Bottom