Rookie Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from greenacres2

greenacres2

Still pretty new at this--but getting addicted. The actual order in the photo, from left to right, is pen5, pen2 and pen4. The cigar in the center is my favorite and I've carried it for a few weeks--turned of Brazilian Chestnut, sanded to 600 grit and waxed with Johnson's. It was really just an experiment but I do like the feel of the waxed wood.

Pen 4, on the right, is a lacewood Wall Street, sanded to 600 and finished with Woodturners Finish (WTF). It was my second WTF finish, made my boss a purpleheart European for his birthday (pen 3--forgot to take a pic of the completed pen!!). This finish is much better as I slowed the lathe and used a softer touch for the first several coats--having re-read the bottle.

Pen 5 is a soft maple Wall Street, another WTF finish. Almost didn't put this one together this morning--got some dust from the bushings embedded in the wood--lesson learned on keeping the mesh off the bushings and perhaps doing a little sealing along the way. I might actually keep this one in the shop as a reminder!!

Been reading a lot and doing a little--thanks for all of your help!!
earl

Attachments

• Pens 2 4 and 5.jpg
    Pens 2 4 and 5.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 226
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

Waxed wood is very nice off the lathe. But wax vanishes after a few weeks use. What stays is what was under the wax...

OZturner

Excellent pens Earl.
Terrific Blanks, Great Fit and Finishes.
If you Like the tactile Feel of Wax, then you might like to consider using "Renaissance Wax", over your Final, and Hard Finish.
This is a Micro-crystalline Wax, Developed for use in the Preservation of Display Items for the British Museum.
It is resistant to Finger Marks and Corrosion, yet provides a Beautiful Tactile Feel.
It is not inexpensive, but it lasts a long time as you use only a very small amount.
Congratulations,
Brian.

greenacres2

Excellent pens Earl.
Terrific Blanks, Great Fit and Finishes.
If you Like the tactile Feel of Wax, then you might like to consider using "Renaissance Wax", over your Final, and Hard Finish.
This is a Micro-crystalline Wax, Developed for use in the Preservation of Display Items for the British Museum.
It is resistant to Finger Marks and Corrosion, yet provides a Beautiful Tactile Feel.
It is not inexpensive, but it lasts a long time as you use only a very small amount.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thanks Brian, I have read good things about that. Will have to give it a go.
Earl

Jamespz03

Beautiful pens. I aspire to be at your level one day once I figure out how to do a finish like that. I'm not having luck with CA glue so maybe I'll look into the WTF. Keep up the great work!!

Top Bottom