Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok, last 'bolt pen', I promise:biggrin:
I'm sure you are as sick of them as I am!!:rolleyes:
This one is a little different though. :rolleyes:
Couple of mates of mine commented on my last bolt pens and said that the 8mm hex head, the 10mm shank and the 12mm thread on them just looked 'wrong', so this one is completely from an M12 x 120mm bolt.
I simply cut it in half, drilled and tapped both halves ( halfs ? ) and then made a nib to suit.
It also has a roller ball refill, where the previous ones were ballpoints.
Because it's 12mm ( about 1/2 inch) I decided to have the hex head as part of the cap, rather than the other way round like the old ones too.

Hope you like:wink:

Attachments

• BoltClosed.jpg
    BoltClosed.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 615
  • BoltOpen.jpg
    BoltOpen.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 656
  • BoltCap.jpg
    BoltCap.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 615

terryf

My oldman always said it was a good idea to have a spare bolt in your pocket - dont think he ever saw this coming ;)

Nice pen/bolt/writing instrument Skip!!

76winger

Very nice. I do like it.
It seems like something that people in the hardware business would be interested in having to show off.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
It seems like something that people in the hardware business would be interested in having to show off.

LOL, interesting that you should say that as this one is on the way to someone that really does own a hardware shop!!:biggrin: I've been promising him one for years and maybe this will stop him whining!!:biggrin:

Phunky_2003

That's really sweet.

How do you finish these? I may have missed that on the other posts. Do they even require a finish?

Ohhhhh and if I start whining now....how far down the list would I be? I don't own a hardware store. But I've been in a few if that counts. As a former diesel / refrigeration tech, it sure would have been nice having one of those to show off.

Very impressive, but then again all your work is outstanding.

philb

Excellent as usual!

Like how this one is simialr but that bit different to the ballpoints! Does the hex head screw off, or is the cap just one piece?

PHIL

IPD_Mr

James - Steven has six videos on how to make a similar version of these on You Tube. It is really informative and helps if you are new to threading.

Steven - As always you find a way to take it over the top. I hope you have notes to share on your step drilling for the rollerball. I would love to see your method of measuring your drill depths for each size. Oh and did I mention:
Bloody Awesome!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
LOL, interesting that you should say that as this one is on the way to someone that really does own a hardware shop!!:biggrin: I've been promising him one for years and maybe this will stop him whining!!:biggrin:

I think (whine) it's a good looking (whine) pen. I'm not sick of (whine)
looking at them, not sure why (whine) you would be sick of them either.
You should (whine) put a few out there (whine) and make yourself some
(whine) gas money. Or 'petrol'? (whine)

bradbn4

With work like that - you make me want a metal lathe and other gear. Don't stop - I do like the overall look.

Now I wonder what a full CNC lathe will run...why buy an expensive pen kit when you can just go down to the local hardware store and get them by the pound.

Yes, I know CNC metal lathe is not cost effective. But then neither is my setup for pen making.

IPD_Mr

With work like that - you make me want a metal lathe and other gear. Don't stop - I do like the overall look.

Now I wonder what a full CNC lathe will run...why buy an expensive pen kit when you can just go down to the local hardware store and get them by the pound.

Yes, I know CNC metal lathe is not cost effective. But then neither is my setup for pen making.

Now to really blow your mind. Skiprat did it on a wood lathe!

bradbn4

Now to really blow your mind. Skiprat did it on a wood lathe!

Yepper - just finished watching the video - well worth the time....sure sounds like there is an old style adding machine running in the background making some printing noise.

But a CNC would be so much easier to do mass production. Good work, a very interesting how to video.

JohnU

I never get tired of seeing these. They always make me want a metal lathe. Completely Awesome! I think I like this one the best.... Until the next one! 

Curly

Great pen. I like your work. Now all you need is a block of steel with a threaded hole to make it into a desk set. Or put a nut directly into the desk. :biggrin:

wizard

Steven, That is a very wicked looking pen...in a good way.. and one serious bolt...very manly looking! I too think you ought try to make a mini bolt pen...it would cater to those with smaller nuts :biggrin:. Seriously, I imagine that would be challenging..

Last edited:

bitshird

Steven you've gone over the top again, very cool pen, I have a client that works for a German based fastener company, I may have to borrow your design, he was in the other day and actually asked what I could do for pens for corporate gifts. and I just love working Stainless any way, (NOT)

ctubbs

HUUUUM? I wonder, just what a collaboration with Steven and Doc would look like? Just wondering.
I watched Skippy's videos and was amazed at the tools he uses to produce such precise and wonderful things. And then we have Doc with his precise turnings and I get to just wondering. Skippy, you never cease to amaze.
If whining would even get me a place in line for one of those gorgeous creations of yours, I have the whiningest dog in the world. I'm pretty good at it too, according to my Bride.
Charles

bluwolf

I know this will sound stupid after everything else that has been said. But the writing half of that pen seems to have such nice aesthetic balance. Beautiful as always.

IPD_Mr

For all of you that are waiting patiently at your mail box to see if this little gem arrives, you can stop drooling every time the mail man delivers. :tongue:

It seems Steven had a weak moment and honored me with this wonderful creation. The craftsmanship is everything that I thought it would be. This pen is one of my two favorites, the other is my Eagle wave. My Eagle wave is my at home desk pen and my Skiprat Bolt is my at work pen. So fitting to have something like this and own a hardware store. Everyone that has seen it is totally amazed.

Steven, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have no idea how much this means to me. I am honored to call you friend and to finally own a creation from the master.

Top Bottom