Rockler cabinet maker's pencil makeover

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Picked up a Cabinet maker's pencil from Rockler. It uses 2mm lead and has a sharpener in the cap thingie. Took all the parts from the plastic barrel and made a barrel from cocobolo. The coco came from Bill Jacobs. Anthony made me do it.
Do a good turn daily!

Don

200563031556_Untitled-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Don, that came out really nice! The new model is alot bigger/fatter than the old model. Bill's cocobolo is tops, lots of color and grain in that one. So how do you like it compared to the Pentel pencil?

its_virgil

Personally I like it better since I break the leads on the pentel .5, .7, and even the .9 mm. I may be able to start using a pencil again at school....I hear, "why can't we use an ink pen, you do." What can I say to that? I just wish the local Rockler had some of the close outs.
Do a good turn daily!
And yes, the coco is really nice. Thanks Bill!
Originally posted by penworks
<br />Don, that came out really nice! The new model is alot bigger/fatter than the old model. Bill's cocobolo is tops, lots of color and grain in that one. So how do you like it compared to the Pentel pencil?

ilikewood

Thanks for the compliments on the Cocobolo, but the wood is just the canvas for the master.[:D]

You did a fantastic job with that and it looks great.

elody21

Pretty neat! How does this compare in price to the kits? Just wondering.

its_virgil

The pencil comes with a separate eraser and 6 extra leads and sells for $5.99. Rockler had the previous model on clearance but the store I go to occassionaly (2 hrs away) had already sold out.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by elody21
<br />Pretty neat! How does this compare in price to the kits? Just wondering.

its_virgil

Chuckie,
I had some brass tubes that the tip and finial would press into. So I drilled a long hole and glued in the tube much like we do with our kits. The parts of the original pen knocked out with some transfer punches I use to dissassemble pens. The only tricky thing is the hole on the business end of the pencil has to be smaller than the main hole so the drilling must stop short and a smaler hole drilled the last 1/8 inch or so. (The brass tube will not go all the way out the writing end.)If you get one and take out the mechanism you will see why. The mechanism can be removed without rendering the original pencil unuseable. The tip screws off and the mechanism will come out the top. It can be done without the use of a brass tube. I used it for a little more strength. It wasn't difficult, just a bit pricey. If you can find a Rockler that has the closeouts, then the price is $2 I think. IUf you want to try one and need some help, email me.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Picked up a Cabinet maker's pencil from Rockler.

Don,

How does the clip and clip fitting attatch to the wood barrel on that version, press fit?

Chuckie

Don,
Nicely done! Gotta love those closeouts!
My wife thinks I am crazy for buying new things only to take them apart,tweak em, sand them, paint them and put em back together again. I go to my dungeon and do it without telling anymore. YOu know what i mean, huh?
Hey, it never hurts to learn something new and save a buck!
Unfortunately, I often end upp spending twice as much for the learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom