Robert Gibb's Sweet Gum Clear Epoxy Casted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Argo13

Argo13

A couple months ago Jeff was contacted by Robert Gibbs who wanted to give out some of his clear epoxy Sweet Gum Blanks. I was one of the 40 or so people to contact him and he sent me a couple blanks. Here is my attempt of his blank. The blank did have a few air bubbles in it but patients and CA took care of that. He suggested to use a pen kit that allows a little thicker blank when finished, so I used a LeRoi V2 Ti Gold kit. If you have pens you made with his blank please feel free to post here. Thanks

Jason

Attachments

• DSCF1548.jpg
    DSCF1548.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 372
  • DSCF1552.jpg
    DSCF1552.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice job on your pen, Jason.
Thanks for opening this thread - I just finished mine this past weekend.

I used a PSI Compson Click pen that I got in my BASH prize box from James White. It's the first time I've tried this kit & I really like it. It takes a 3" blank, uses a 3/8" tube & leaves a good bit of meat at both ends, especially at the nib end. The clicker has a good feel to it and seems to be quite sturdy.

I back-painted the blank with white paint - it may not be so obvious from this photo, but it makes the blank look very much like a snake skin blank.

I think a darker back-paint brings out the sweet gum pod outlines better, so I'll probably try some kind of blue paint on the second one.

Edgar

Attachments

• SweetGumPodsOnCompsonc.jpg
    SweetGumPodsOnCompsonc.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 269

Sprung

I think a darker back-paint brings out the sweet gum pod outlines better, so I'll probably try some kind of blue paint on the second one.

I have one of his that I back-painted with blue - it's not quite finished yet, but already looks sharp so I think you've got a good thought to give blue a try. I just need to find some time to get into the shop and finish them up... Maybe I'll be able to get it done and have a picture up this weekend.

Argo13

Everyone,

Well done. It never ceases to amaze me the creativity of some of the blank makers and then what the pen maker does with each blank.

Jason

Argo13

Yes. It does bring out the sweet gum as Edgar says but I think I with experiment with the second blank. Lots of ideas from the others above. Now to settle on one.

Jason

QUOTE=Krash;1763903]
Everyone,

Well done. It never ceases to amaze me the creativity of some of the blank makers and then what the pen maker does with each blank.

Jason

Jason - did you back-paint in black?[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom