Rit Dye for Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Rit clothing dye can be used for wood with very good results... It can be disolved in either water or denatured alcohol... obviously the water will raise the grain...
Here are two Christmas Ornaments dyed with red rit dye...
The larger one is Maple and the smaller is aromatic cedar.. these were a test to see how the dye would take... the dye was disolved in denatured alcohol and did not raise the grain... Normally the part that is black would be done in gold paint to make it look like the brass part of a Christmas Tree light..
2004924142018_RitOrnaments.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Yes I have... the brighter the color dye the better... I have used blue, orange, black, red, purple all with good results.

jwoodwright

Is it long lasting? Does Alcohol method last longer? What is the drying time? Have you tried this with a pen? How about them corn cobs? I have more questions than I have answers.[:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
So far only with scroll sawn and turned ornaments.. I am not happy with the dry time and am about to try some other coloring processes... when I get something I am happy with I will post the results in the Finishing section....
I have no idea of light fastness because the items I am dying are ornaments and do not get a lot of sunlight....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom