Ringed Tiger Tail

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just a slightly modded cheap UK kit with an 'Orange Glow' ( stupid name!! )blank. I made two little stainless rings and index drilled them just to add a bit of bling. :biggrin:

Attachments

• RingedTigerTail2.jpg
    RingedTigerTail2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
MUCH cheaper to buy it with a stupid name than for a stupid price!!!!:wink::biggrin:

Since it's made in Europe, makes sense to find a source in Europe.

The difference in price (About $1.50 per our size blank, based on today's exchange rate which is the best---from the USA perspective---since 2003--just looked it up) will easily be accounted for in freight, customs and foreign currency exchange costs, as I would expect you already know.

Last edited:

workinforwood

The banding is extremely inspirational. I can see the blank below it, so that means you spun the bands super thin and just slipped them over the top right? What holds them in place, a touch of epoxy? Even though they barely are higher than the pen and I can see that you nicely softened the edges, does it feel at all odd in the hands? These are the things I sure would like to know Steve, thank you.

Oh..when you put a rod in an index to drill it, do you have to punch it to stop a bit from rolling off center or will a center pilot bit still stay on course?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff, the banding is flush with the blank. I turned tennons to take them. But they are pretty thin.

Indexing the holes was pretty straight forward. I drilled them in the lathe while still a fairly long tube. I made a clamp for a drilling machine ( also fits my small router) and used a centre drill. The little pip on the drill was plenty long enough to pierce the metal before the countersink part touched. The clamp is held in the tool post and is adjustable to make sure it is on centre height. Easy :biggrin:No punch required:wink:

The top band does have the edge smoothed as this is where the mech twists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom