RFID Celtic pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

So, here is a pen which you may have seen recently..... but its been upgraded.

attachment.php

So, whats new? I have taken a microchip which is used in door entry systems, reformed a copper coil to fit inside the pen cap, soldered it to the microchip and registered it to a proximity reader.

This way, when i setup my new workshop, this lock will be installed on the door, and what better way to gain access to your pen turning lair, than to wave your carry pen past a proximity scanner on the wall, to hear that BEEEEP, as the door unlocks for you.

I love it, though i think my wife may be growing tired of hearing the beep :redface:

Here is the microchip. care has to be taken as its only 5mm in width, and is very easy to overheat while soldering if your not careful.
apologies for the blurry pic but this camera doesnt like objects that small.
attachment.php

Here is the chip attached to the copper coil. this component is much more critical than you think. Its frequency is determined by how many turns of magnetic wire there are, along with its length. its layout has a bearing on how much gain it has. (range from the scanner).With it rolled up in such a fashion the range is reduced significantly, though never the less it does trigger the door release, when touched against the reader.
attachment.php

And here is the pen with the coil mounted in the cap, operating the door entry system. Success! - but never the less theres plenty of room for improvement, this was merely a mock up test out the theory. Faradays law plays a key role with mounting an energised coil such asthis in a metal tube, let alone the entire penbody being constructed of aluminium such as this. The metal soaks up the RF radiating to the coil so the pen would be better made from acrylic for instance. this can be improved however providing that the metal is not in a closed loop, or a faraday cage as some might understand. I wont go into the details of radio signals and how they are affected by their surroundings as im sure it will bore most :wink: needless to say i will be looking into other ways of winding a coil etc which would better suit the design of a pen etc, but hey! i have every intention of using my carry pen to let me into my pen studio - so this will be a fun venture with many models im sure

attachment.php

Attachments

• 484261_371274026297603_1976008255_n.jpg
    484261_371274026297603_1976008255_n.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 677
  • chip.jpg
    chip.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 654
  • lid.jpg
    lid.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 639
  • reader.jpg
    reader.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 643
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I thought the pen was amazing when you first showed it to us. Now, it is just WOW!!! Hmmm, if you embed a NFC chip, you could do without your wallet.:biggrin:

Last edited:

seamus7227

what he said above, but you need to save the next greatest idea you have and use it as your submission pen into the PMG(pen makers guild)

Excellent work Brad!

BradG

Thanks for the comments all :)

Definitely one of the coolest pens I have seen. But what happens when the pen gets lost?

Wouldnt be an issue, the master code can be typed into the door entry system, and the chip of the lost pen deactivated. I would just then activate another pen which has a chip built into it.

up to 1000 pens can be registered onto this system and independantly controlled using their registration number (this pen is reg number 002).

Centrally managed systems give more advanced options per user code with relay outputs.. to put this into perspective, my sons door entry fob would allow him access to the workshop, but the system would isolate the machinery ringmain preventing him from turning on any of the machinery etc.. or can be controlled by hourly set days access permissions, and a supervisor override allowing the machinery to be used etc etc... the possibilities are endless.

nice subtle touches like the lights switch on for you as you unlock the door automatically.

Last edited:

BradG

Spellcheck.... the batteries wouldnt ever last with me using it lol :biggrin: would be flat after a paragraph

Charlie_W

Wow Brad, The pen is stunning! I just want to keep looking at it! The electronics is way cool. Can you go through airport security with it? You might drive TSA nuts trying to figure it out!

PWL

Way over my head! Lost me at chip,coil and proximity reader. Are those mounted on a 2x4 with a 10p nail? LOL
PW

BradG

Outstanding Brad. Soon you will be flying planes with your pens. I really like the etched pens you're making.

well we are halfway there.. i think 6061 T6 is aircraft grade aluminium? could be wrong though..

Remarkable Brad, I just your posting on Facebook Pen Makers page for this pen as well. You're doing great work!
Thanks Dave :wink:

Q² might be a more accurate description for you Brad! This is beyond cool! If I send you a click pen can you make it remotely start my car? :tongue:
Sure would be simple enough to do, but may not be practicle if you arein your house trying to use your pen for writing and your cars starting on the driveway lol

Wow Brad, The pen is stunning! I just want to keep looking at it! The electronics is way cool. Can you go through airport security with it? You might drive TSA nuts trying to figure it out!
I think you would raise some eyebrows trying to go through airport security with it... dont think i would like to riskdelaying my holidays because of my carry pen lol

walshjp17

In Like Flint

I'm reminded of that James Coburn spy spoof, 'In Like Flint' when the technology master hands Flint (Coburn) a Zippo lighter and tells him that it has 27 functions. Flint lights a cigarette and the tech guys says, "Sorry, 28."

It writes too?:biggrin:

Top Bottom