Revised lower finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mike Redburn gave me a tip about the shape of the lower barrel finial on the pen I made in this thread http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/my-problem-kitless-pens-111112/

I believe this is close to what I understood him to say. How about this Mike?

It may not be just right, but I do like it better this way than squared off. Thanks Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks good both ways. Was there a specific purpose for reworking it?
Thanks Joe. Here is what Mike Redburn suggested yesterday:

Your problem is your cap finial design doesnt match the pen body finial. You have a stepped cap finial with rounded shoulders and a button insert. Your finial on the pen body has none of these. If you mimicked the cap with a small shoulder/ step and rounded the end a little more it would tie in the two end designs.

cnirenberg

Chuck,
I'm gonna agree with Mike on tis one. I just saw the original pen on the other thread. I really liked it, however there was something there that I couldn't put my finger on. reading this thread I see it. I think that you are on track with this version. I like it better. There is a lot of soft curves and no hard edges to the cap finial, makes sense that the boby finial follow suit.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck,
I'm gonna agree with Mike on tis one. I just saw the original pen on the other thread. I really liked it, however there was something there that I couldn't put my finger on. reading this thread I see it. I think that you are on track with this version. I like it better. There is a lot of soft curves and no hard edges to the cap finial, makes sense that the boby finial follow suit.
Thanks Chris. Mike sure does know about pens. :biggrin: He's been a big help to me.

I liked both of them. That pen is dynamite.
Thanks Mike.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Sorry I missed this one Chuck. Your curves on the lower finial help to match the upper one. Not that your first pens were horrible but sometimes it helps the overall effect to tie them together. You do a really good job on your pens and we all know there are no real hard fast rules on what someone likes. We are all learning.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I really suggest that you send it to me for a very close inspection!! You may have it back sometime in the near future:biggrin:. I really do like that pen

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Sorry I missed this one Chuck. Your curves on the lower finial help to match the upper one. Not that your first pens were horrible but sometimes it helps the overall effect to tie them together. You do a really good job on your pens and we all know there are no real hard fast rules on what someone likes. We are all learning.
Thanks for the help Mike.

It looks damn good to me.
Thank you Neil.

I really suggest that you send it to me for a very close inspection!! You may have it back sometime in the near future:biggrin:. I really do like that pen
I'm glad you like it Ernie. Sorry though, I think Roy is standing by HIS mail box :biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

I'm glad you like it Ernie. Sorry though, I think Roy is standing by HIS mail box :biggrin:[/quote]

Damn straight and been standing by it through two tornado warnings and one thunder storm, I'm wet,cold , & wind blown, but now that he fixed it I might have wasted my time:frown::mad:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm glad you like it Ernie. Sorry though, I think Roy is standing by HIS mail box :biggrin:

Damn straight and been standing by it through two tornado warnings and one thunder storm, I'm wet,cold , & wind blown, but now that he fixed it I might have wasted my time:frown::mad:[/quote]
Sorry about the tornado's Roy. I just hope that Chevelle is in a safe place. And don't worry, the pen is NOT flawless. :rolleyes:

OKLAHOMAN

Damn straight and been standing by it through two tornado warnings and one thunder storm, I'm wet,cold , & wind blown, but now that he fixed it I might have wasted my time:frown::mad:
Sorry about the tornado's Roy. I just hope that Chevelle is in a safe place. And don't worry, the pen is NOT flawless. :rolleyes:[/quote]

The Chevelle was in the shop getting a complete front end overhaul and lowering of the rear by 2 inches and a few other things, hope to have it home this Friday ready for a local show on Sat.. BTW sure looks flawless to me, I always enjoy your work.

Top Bottom