Review For Constant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wheaties

Wheaties

Got one of my blanks done and now reviewing it/showing it off. I figure Constant will benefit more if I post here.

Green Curly Maple Review:

Out of the package: The first thing I noticed was the blanks were straight and clean. No extra stabilizing glue to deal with. That really helps so I don't have the extra step of getting it off so I can securely hold it straight while drilling.

Cutting the blank: Was harder to cut than other stabilized wood I've had, but it was not a problem. Still cut well. The smell was very similar to acrylics I've used.

Drilling: Very easy to drill. Drilled straight though without stopping just to see how it would work. It worked, but I wouldn't recommend that (reason to come).

Trimming: This was the hardest part. Or atleast the longest. I use a bench-top disc sander with a jig to square the blanks. They must be very hard because it was a very very slow process. I got it very very hot fairly quickly. I have never gotten a blank this hot before (that was a mistake as you will see).

Turning: Turned very easily. Almost too easy. Used a gouge, skew, and my woodchuck. All worked very well and left a smooth surface. There was little difference between the skew and gouge, with the skew leaving a slightly smoother surface.

Color: I was surprised how well the color went through the blank. It seemed to fade just a tad as you can see from where the tip is: the tip was at the end of the blank and must have soaked up more color.

Finishing: Used my normal CA process. Worked like always.

Summary: Very good blanks. They seem to be just a tad hard, but only for my method of trimming. They are not too hard for anything else and that fact alone wouldn't detour me from using/buying again. I am interested in how more "punky" woods would take this stabilizing method. I can only image it would work better than anything I've currently ever used.

Thanks for the chance to help out Constant! I hope this was helpful in some way. If you have any specific questions for me, just ask!

P.S. My wife said this was her favorite pen of mine to date which really really surprised me. She said it was "retro" and "old school" looking. So that's a plus!

EDIT: Forgot to add my warning. The blank did begin to crack because of the heat I exposed it to (dumb, I know...), as would most any wood. I just added some CA to stabilize it and continued with no problems.

Attachments

• 100_1187.jpg
    100_1187.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Top Bottom