Return after a long time- Blue Dwarf Banksia from George's Bits of Timber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgsean

tgsean

G'day Mates,

Its been ages since I put up anything on IAP. I have been doing a lot of turning, just didn't get the chance to put stuff up. I had been working on a catalogue of pens, as a lot of friends asked me to show them samples, and I had none, as I made them to specific orders. I did however have pictures so I finally made the catalogue. So I hope to be able to put up some pens from today on IAP. I am always open to C & C so I can improve. This is a Noveau Sceptre Pen in George's blue banksia. This is a very popular blank and turns out really well. I like this particular kit too.

Cheers,

Sean

Attachments

• Blue Dwarf Banksia.jpg
    Blue Dwarf Banksia.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Blue Dwarf Banksia1.jpg
    Blue Dwarf Banksia1.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Blue Dwarf Banksia2.jpg
    Blue Dwarf Banksia2.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 237
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

......she's a beauty, are the Dwarf Banksias as fragile to turn as the big brother Banksia pods?..........Be well........Jan

tgsean

Well to turn the dwarfs I follow George's advice, carbide tools or flap discs. Thanks everyone for the feedback and its good to be back!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've been wondering where you've been! Glad your back - I really enjoy seeing your work.

And this pen is exceptional as usual.

robutacion

......she's a beauty, are the Dwarf Banksias as fragile to turn as the big brother Banksia pods?..........Be well........Jan

Hi Jean,

The short answer is "NO", they are a lot easier...!

The pod construction is different, you have a lot more solid pod material in the dwarf blanks and also, I use the pod core/centre so, a more firm structure.

They do have a small amount of that dreadful red velvet but a very minor amount easy to handle, the most important thing to consider when turning these blanks is, the resin is filling the tiny seed holes, these holes become smaller/shallower as you remove material from the blank therefore, the resin loses a lot of its support and can be shaken out and fly away so, the very first thing to do is to maintain an average lathe speed of under 1,000rpm, centrifugal forces for excessive speed, with shake and loosen the bits of resin inside those holes and they will "depart" at great speed to never be found again. The second most import detail is to remember that, if the resin is losing its support and can become loose in the seed hole, you need to strengthen that bond and for that, you simply soak the blank with thin CA and let it set before you continue on, doing these simple steps, you aren't going to have any other issues, still be gentle...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Marko50

Nice to have you back, Doc! Another beautiful pen, to be sure! That Nouveau Scepter goes perfect with that blank. Excellent

tgsean

Thanks Mark, I must say it is fantastic to be back. All are so welcoming and encouraging. I missed everyone, and especially to see some fabulous pens!! I really wish that someday I can learn how to do kit-less pens. Never done one.

Top Bottom