Retro Serpent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

This has to be the most difficult pen I've done, if you ever get a chance at any of this material I strongly suggest that you be prepared for a real challenge. It's hard to imagine any plastic being so heat sensitive and yet it would be so brittle yet soft, this material is a total conundrum. I need to thank Woodlver for selling me some of his stash, In case you are not familiar with this material, it is an Acrylic made by the Italian firm of Mazzucchelli for Shaeffer Pen Co. I also have to thank Ed4copies and all of the poor souls who thought you could treat this like most any other acrylic and posted horror stories. forget it you can't
This is or was just a poor homeless Jr. Retro Fountain Pen with Rhodium Hardware and dressed in Ceboplast serpent acrylic with a custom cap finial button.

Retro-Serpent-1.jpg

Retro-Serpent-2.jpg

Retro-Serpent-3.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome, I know the pictures need work, Don't wear a black shirt while taking a picture, and my lighting sucks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very nice work on that pen for sure. That material is a pleasure to work with I find. It is so reliable and I found it quite easy to cut and turn. Of course it does take sharp tools and cool bits but is very predictable. I just did some blue in this material and it too is so nice. Makes for some classy pens.

S

spiritwoodturner

I love it. You sound like you don't, or maybe it's an "Agony and the Ecstasy" kind of deal. I think it's absolutely lovely, although I think I'll pass when this stuff comes around again, by the sound of it.

Really nice, Ken.

Dale

JohnU

Turned out Very Nice! I had the chance to melt some myself. Nothing like most acrylics but worth the extra work when it shines.

Rudy Vey

Nice pen. This material is really a nightmare to work with, but the outcome is rewarding. As someone said, sharp tools is the trick and go easy. Drilling is very challenging if the bit is not razor sharp.

J

jackrichington

the retro pen & retro looking blank are perfect for each other

bitshird

I think it was Wolftat that suggested cooling the bit with alcohol I drilled about an 1/8th then clear the chips and squirt some DNA into the hole, it worked like a charm, If any ever becomes available I'll get it, I have enough for one more regular or Junior and one piece for a sierra, if you get through the drilling and use a sharp tool I used my carbide scraper it's not a bad material and it is a pleasure to finish. Thanks for the nioce comments :biggrin:

bananajeep

I have some of this material. I have to say the reto kit fits the material perfectly. Will have to cut some blanks and put this kit on the TO DO LIST.

You did a nice job on this one

Mike

arjudy

I've turned a couple out of that material and had the same experience you did but I think the finished product is well worth the effort. Nice job on the FP.

Woodlvr

Great work Ken. Did you have to paint the blank or the tube? I cannot wait to see what you do with the other two pieces. I do have one more stick of it left if anybody wants to torture themselves.:tongue::biggrin:

bitshird

Great work Ken. Did you have to paint the blank or the tube? I cannot wait to see what you do with the other two pieces. I do have one more stick of it left if anybody wants to torture themselves.:tongue::biggrin:

Mike if you have it next week I'll take it, I didn't paint the tubes, I tint my epoxy, I use PR colorant from U.S Composites, Just a few drops in a small batch of epoxy works great, on this I did it with black. I just wish there was still some 30 minute epoxy left, I guess they quit making it.

Top Bottom