Retro carbon fiber,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

I am getting closer on the carbon fiber casting. After last weeks disaster with the cf comming loose from the brass black finish, I sand blasted all the brass black off the tubes I had done and broke out the powder coat gun (doah, should of done this first) and pc'd a bunch of tubes black. These are working well. I think I am getting it figured out how to keep the weave straight and smooth. Practice, practice. All comments welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• retro 3 004.jpg
    retro 3 004.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Gary,

It looks like you've got something good going there... I like the look of the carbon fiber and particularly the look of your pens made from CF.

I've only done a few carbon fiber blanks and have yet to get one perfectly straight.

I also have issues with the ends fraying, but I think I have a handle on that. So far, I have not painted the tubes, however, and have not had an issue with the tube showing through.

-Barry

rcflyer23

Very nice pen. Were are you getting your CF fabric from. I work in the racing industry and that would be an awesome pen to make for some of the guys at the shop.

akbar24601

Gary, that is so super cool looking!!! You will definitely have to bring one of those when you come down so I can see one in person!!! How would it look in that kit in Chrome or Rhodium? I think it would be pretty slick. Great work!!!

hehndc

NIce looking pen. You gave me the inspiration a while ago to try a similar idea with kevlar. I gave up on it for a while because I could'nt get the stuff to stick to the tube well. By the time I was done, I had a ugly kevlar/epoxy mess.

Nice job.

Steve

jttheclockman

Gary, I think you have it perfected. Very nicely done. What do you use to stick it to the tubes??? Do you have any problems when you cast it. How do you keep the edges from fraying??? Thanks for showing.

CaptG

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Steve, been there, done that with the sticky mess thing. You going to the Michigan chapter meeting Sunday? John, I wet the carbon fiber with pr and leave some hanging past the tube ends. When it hardens, I trim the ends flush, plug the tube and cast.

CaptG

LOL, I saw that about a week ago. It is a square pattern instead of the diamond that the carbon fiber sleeves have. In my searches for the cf, I did see a contact vinyl imitation cf that would be really easy to use and it had the square pattern, But I rejected it because is was fake. I am NOT saying the PSI is fake. I do have a PSI blank on order and I will take it apart, LOL. This hard Michigan winter is slowing down my casting, but I have a couple cf blanks and a couple finished pens that I am taking to the Mich. chapter meeting Sunday for some honest opinions, and 40 more blanks almost ready for the pressure pot. Will keep you posted.

jttheclockman

I was in Staples the other day ( statinary and office supply store ) and always look at the pens they have on display and they have ones that are similar to the material you use. I really would not know the difference but it had the diamond pattern and not sure if they did it or it comes this way but every 3rd diamond is painted white and it looks pretty cool. That is the thing when selling a pen like that the person is not going to know if it is a fake or the real deal.

Top Bottom