Retirement Pen - First Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DJ2759

DJ2759

This was my first attempt at casting. It is a gift for a friend who is retiring after 30 years of military service.
The trick was getting the badge thin enough to bend around the tube without cracking, second trick was not going through the PR.
Dale

Attachments

• pen1.JPG
    pen1.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 256
  • pen2.JPG
    pen2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

medemt

OK Dale,

I just have to know more about how you did this. That pen is awesome. First off, where did you get the badge? How was it prepared before casting? These are the kind of pens that absolutely amaze me. Being new to turning, I am constantly taken back by the things that people on this site come up with. Excellent work.

Dan

DJ2759

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Dan,
The badge is a tie-tack that I sanded down to about 1/16th of an inch. I then bent it using a punch the same size as the tube; I placed the badge on a block of wood with a groove slightly bigger than the tube and carefully tapped the punch length wise on the badge. This bent it for a perfect fit around the tube.
The tube is painted with a slightly textured black paint and the bottom is rattlesnake.
Using the tutorials on casting and snakeskins was a big help.
Dale

Mark

That is a very nice pen. I hope your friend likes it. There's a lot of time and effort in a pen like that. Nice work..

Rfturner

That was very creative and your friend will be very pleased. Have you thought of making more of these to sell I am positive that there are many people that would buy that for close to or above $100

DJ2759

Thanks again for the comments.

Ryan, I have never sold a pen but have made quite a few as gifts. If a friend asked me to make them the same pen, which I'm sure they will, I would probably do it for cost and a 12 pack of Bud.

Top Bottom