Retirement Gift Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

One of my colleagues retired today. Yesterday there was a open house for him for people to stop in and wish him well. Normally I make retiring coworkers a pen. This gentleman, as a hobby, is also a vintner so I thought it would a nice gesture to also make him a bottle stopper. I was originally going to make the pen from one of his fruit trees or shrubs, but I decided that I would rather have matching set and I don't like making bottlestoppers (or anything that could end up in the sink) out of wood. So both the stopper and the pen were made from matching acrylic. This is the first bottle stopper I've ever turned. In the process of ordering things I forgot to order a bottle stopper mandrel. So there I set needing a part that cost roughly the same as shipping to get it. So I decided to whip up my own. I also thought it would be decent youtube video, so I filmed it. You can check out the video here if your inclined.

Here is the pen and bottle stopper I made

IMG_0063 (800x599).jpg
IMG_0065 (800x599).jpg
IMG_0067 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0068 (800x599).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I like the way you modified that slimline kit to make the pen a little heftier.

Nice job on the video. How much did you have to pay that guy to pretend to be you in the video? :biggrin:

Ed

Not very much. You see, in the Faith movie industry, actors and actress are paid based on how good looking they are. That guy was practically free!:laugh:

KenV

Well done video

Only improvement I saw would have been to show a draw bar with the MT drill Chuck in the head stock of the lathe. A missed opportunity for a risk removal moment.

D.Oliver

Well done video

Only improvement I saw would have been to show a draw bar with the MT drill Chuck in the head stock of the lathe. A missed opportunity for a risk removal moment.

That is an excellent point! I normally use a drawbar too. I guess since I was just inserting the chuck for demonstration and wasn't going to turn the lathe on, I didn't think to put the drawbar on.

SteveJ

Well done Derek. Every time I see one of your videos I am amazed at how young you look. Between seeing them I revert back to thinking you are old...even older than me...then I see your baby face and just shake my head...Do you even shave yet?

D.Oliver

Well done Derek. Every time I see one of your videos I am amazed at how young you look. Between seeing them I revert back to thinking you are old...even older than me...then I see your baby face and just shake my head...Do you even shave yet?

I have an old soul.:tongue:

Top Bottom