Result from the 5 minute epoxy/Pearlex blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

392825_387327087994029_1450508948_n.jpg

527886_387327151327356_1633481127_n.jpg

426146_387327244660680_14791093_n.jpg

Here we have it. I found a lot of bubbles in the epoxy mix, but I did what I do and padded up a lot of layers of medium CA and sanded it back down over and over until most of them were history. A couple of tiny ones left. It turned nicely, and the epoxy made some great ribbons. It cuts nicely. I'm pretty sure next time I'm planning ahead a bit more and using some old spalted water oak I have from some of the first blanks I ever harvested. I think that will make a better contrast and look a lot better. Also, more elaborate cutouts will be in order. I'm happy that I can add this to the bag of tricks and use it on more ambitious projects later. Namely if I get my hands on some higher end kits or a few lower-end fountain pen kits. Either way, this is a cool project you can do without having to have a casting rig. You just end up investing extra time in shoring up the liabilities of the materials used, which is a completely acceptable tradeoff based on my experience. If I ever get set up to cast and can do proper worthless blanks I probably wouldn't do more of these unless there was a specific need, though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

For the bubbles what I now do is glue up the blank and turn it close to size then I can slowly add Epoxy to one side of the void and let it run in pushing out the air that could be trapped by doing it on a larger void. Could also be handy to slightly warm the Epoxy to thin it and the bubbles can raise to the top more easily. Now that you have this try to mix other things in the epoxy. I like doing black w/ copper or brass shavings. Also, you can take some crushed stone and pack it in and flood w/ thin CA. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

Ohh yea, I forgot, Nice looking pen.

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

There's an idea. I did pour into one side by default instead of decision. However, the 5 minute epoxy seemed to be getting thick fast and I didn't know how much time I had to work with it. I may need to let it sit in the mixing cup a little longer before I pour next time as well.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
depending on the type, you can sometimes thin epoxy with a few
drops of acetone. Doesn't take much.. you just want it thin enough
to release any bubbles. And (as always) try it on scrap first.

Justturnin

There's an idea. I did pour into one side by default instead of decision. However, the 5 minute epoxy seemed to be getting thick fast and I didn't know how much time I had to work with it. I may need to let it sit in the mixing cup a little longer before I pour next time as well.

I think no matter what you will have some bubbles but I am always on the search to minimize to make my life a little easier.

Also, good to see you back brother.

Drstrangefart

I think no matter what you will have some bubbles but I am always on the search to minimize to make my life a little easier.

Also, good to see you back brother.

If you plan on bubbles and are ready for them, it's not too big of a deal. I do need to get the touch on pouring it right. I'm happy to be back. Now I just gotta get some of these sold so I can justify the amount of time I've been spending on these things.

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If you plan on bubbles and are ready for them, it's not too big of a deal. I do need to get the touch on pouring it right. I'm happy to be back. Now I just gotta get some of these sold so I can justify the amount of time I've been spending on these things.

Try it with the acetone. It may work for you.
Plus, you can quickly wave a torch over the epoxy after you get it
in place. That also helps bring the bubbles to the top.

and for those across the pond, I'm not referring to a 'flashlight' when
I say torch. I mean a butane torch.

Drstrangefart

Try it with the acetone. It may work for you.
Plus, you can quickly wave a torch over the epoxy after you get it
in place. That also helps bring the bubbles to the top.

and for those across the pond, I'm not referring to a 'flashlight' when
I say torch. I mean a butane torch.

They quit letting me play with fire indoors......

Drstrangefart

Also, tried adding 3 or 4 drops of acetone to roughly one ounce of epoxy/Pearlex mix. Gonna have to wait for results, though. I just poured it a little while ago. Seemed to set a little faster with less heat output.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I pour mine when it's a thick liquid state. I can see the bubbles, but
the acetone thins out the epoxy and they rise. I have a little micro torch
and when I see a bubble that doesn't want to clear, I quickly hit the
surface with the flame and it goes away. I do mean QUICKLY.. if you give
it heat, it generates even more bubbles! You just want to zap the surface
fast and move away. Works like a charm. i learned that from epoxy bar
tops (not the same things, I know.. but it still works)

grz5

At my work we remove all of the air bubbles from the epoxy via 'out gassing,' where we pull vacuum on the epoxy to force all of the air and stored gasses out of the mixture. We use a vacuum system at work but the process can be done with a ball jar and a hand vacuum pump.

Top Bottom