Rescued pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from galoot_loves_tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
200762318264_rescued_pen.jpg

Great forum here, I'm learning lots of good stuff. The first incarnation of this cherry burl and gold-ti Carbara pen was an experiment in water-based poly finishing. I used General Finishes High Performance Poly the first time and rushed the sanding/polishing step before the finish had cured such that I cut through the (pretty thick) finish to the wood. Plus the pen profile wasn't quite right, had a slight hump in it near the nib. My youngest daughter noticed this, she has a good critical eye.

So I used a set of letter-drill sized transfer punches (found at the flea market) to disassemble the pen. I'm now an expert on transmission removal from Carbara pens, lol. I shortened the blank at the nib end a bit to get back to wood that was larger in diameter than the bushing. Then I refined the profile with a skew chisel and finished the pen with CA. Back together it went and I'm now using it as my carry-around pen.

I went ahead and bought some Enduro from Bear Toth Woods to see if it is any different than the High-Perfomance poly, I'll try on another pen. Meanwhile, I have gained even more respect for CA as a pen finish, Too bad it has the nasty fumes, etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by UKpenmaker
<br />Good rescue Tom, i am sure you will like Enduro, just make sure you give it enough time between stages to cure properly

Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to set the Enduro finished blanks aside for a few days before I mess with them.

I did do another pen with the General Finishes High Performance poly and waited a week before sanding and polishing. That turned out OK. My sister admired the pen and I ended up giving it to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom