Republican pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rifleman1776

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

This is a pen I made for a friend who serves on our local Republican Committee with me. Two things about this pen are rule breakers. #1 It has some acrylic in it and my rule is "if you want plastic, go to Wal-Mart. Oh, well. #2 The African Blackwood isn't.

200526182645_GOP%20pen.jpg

(black, that is.) But, of course, I never say never either. The center is acrylic that is primarily white with red and blue streaking. The supplier calls it "Old Glory". The logo clip is from HUT. I am a bit upset with HUT. The logo clips are already grossly overpriced at $4.59 (JUST FOR THE CLIP, NOT WHOLE KIT). And, to add to insult, the little insert does NOT come installed. I put it in with a tiny drop of CA but it adhered instantly and, as you see, is not perfectly straight. The pen came out pretty much as I had envisioned except, held up to the light the lower wood barrel does not perfectly meet the lower portion of the acrylic, this is where the twist takes place. It isn't bad. As they say 'a man running for his life would never notice'. But I am not 100% happy. My idea was good and the treatment O.K. but execution could have been better than this. I'll give it a solid B.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheHeretic

ummm isnt one of the reasons for posting pens to get someone elses ideas and opinions. You have already given teh report card on the pen without us ever having seen it. Even the greatest masters find fault in their own work. I know we all strive to greatness but......

Actually it is a beautiful pen. I would think that the thought is more what counts on this one. I doubt he will ever notice the gap you mention. The clip isnt even a factor in my eyes. I think to all the buttons I have seen on various party members and they are never straight. To me you have caught the spirit of the Republican part -- a little cocked!

Dean
Columbus OH

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I think your grading scale is a bit harsh. That's a good thing. That way you will not get complacent. The logo pricing from Hut has always seemed high to me, but I've noticed that no one else carries such an item. The licensing costs must drive the prices up a lot. All of that being said, this is a great looking pen. I'm sure your friend will appreciate it!

melogic

Nice looking pen Frank. I too do not agree with the pricing of the Hut clips. However, I have sold quite a few of them on pens I have made. I had a couple of pens I made withe Masonic logo and they turned out beautiful.

Rifleman1776

Thanks, Brother. Maybe I'll do some of those too.

Originally posted by melogic
<br />Nice looking pen Frank. I too do not agree with the pricing of the Hut clips. However, I have sold quite a few of them on pens I have made. I had a couple of pens I made withe Masonic logo and they turned out beautiful.

Rifleman1776

Thanks all for the compliments. Very encouraging. The matter of not being able to get a perfect match between sections is probably due to the tools being used. I square with a disk sander. That is not a machine tool and doesn't have the same tolerances. The gap is well under a thousandth and not noticable unless looking for it, like I did. Next time I do one of these logo pens, I'll rubber cement the face of the logo to something like a 1/8" dowel. That will allow more accurate placement than with my clumsy fingers.

G

I like the concept Frank!
I like the design and shape.
Your experience with the sander is why I don't want to go that route,I don't see it as a precision machine either.
God bless those who use them with good results for milling the ends.
I looked at those custom clips also.I wanted to do a Rotary one for my cousin.
You are right,for $5.00 you think they would already be glued.
One thought on the center band.
I realize a picture doesn't always show everything,but since you used an"Old Glory blanks, did you consider turing the CB 90º so it might depict more like a waving flag?

Rifleman1776

"did you consider turing the CB 90º so it might depict more like a waving flag?"
No, I didn't. But now, I have considered it and will stay with the lines waving lenghtwise with the pen. It seems to me that crossways lines might destroy the
flow of the curves of the pen. But, thanks for the tip. I have enough Old Glory for several more pens, might experiment, though.

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />I like the concept Frank!
I like the design and shape.
Your experience with the sander is why I don't want to go that route,I don't see it as a precision machine either.
God bless those who use them with good results for milling the ends.
I looked at those custom clips also.I wanted to do a Rotary one for my cousin.
You are right,for $5.00 you think they would already be glued.
One thought on the center band.
I realize a picture doesn't always show everything,but since you used an"Old Glory blanks, did you consider turing the CB 90º so it might depict more like a waving flag?

elody21

I like the addition of red, white and blue acrylic! You are right, the special clips are WAY too costly!!! What, is there a couple of pennies worth of material in each clip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom