Reposting for help IDing blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello All
I'm reposting a pen I made back in May of last year, in hopes someone can help me ID the blank. I took it out of my collection to show off at our church and for the life of me I cant remember what kind of wood the blank was made from. It a silver slimline that did with a custom cap. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 205
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Rich, I was thinking it could be walnut...but maybe not. I was also thinking bubinga Michael I just don't know. I'm fairly sure it came from a tree some place in the world.

Last edited:

toddlajoie

I'd vote against bubinga based on the examples of it that I have had (to brown instead of red... of course I've been wrong once or twice in my life...)

I'll throw out Mahogany as my guess, now we've only got 994 suggestions to go according to Jeff....

robutacion

Hello All
I'm reposting a pen I made back in May of last year, in hopes someone can help me ID the blank. I took it out of my collection to show off at our church and for the life of me I cant remember what kind of wood the blank was made from. It a silver slimline that did with a custom cap. Thanks for the help

Dan,

Is never a easy job to accurately identify certain types of woods, from such a small wood area and after being given a glossy finish but that, you already know, I'm certain so, the best I can do at this point is, give you a couple of examples and generalize my comments as possibilities.

I don't think that, that wood is one of mine, none of my woods are as porous as that, after finished so, I will show you 2 examples of porous woods, that are most common around us, in some form or another.

Your pen's wood, looks similar to the wood in this image unfilled-wood-grain.jpg

Colour and texture are identical, and this type of open grain in found on most Mahogany woods, is that it, I'm not sure...!

On the other hand, most of the Oaks, have also a deep open grain however, there is also another aspect common on these Oak woods and that is the secondary grain texture called "Flakes", as seen in this image oak-veneer-english-brown-quartered-heavy-flake.jpg

These are normally seen at a diagonal orientation when the wood is cut with the grain, these flakes vary in shape, size and concentration within a specified area, in your pen, I don't see any signs of these frakes so, I would think that is not a common Oak..!

I don't think that, this is the answer you wanted but, is the best I can give you, at this point...!

Good luck.

Cheers
George

timsickels

very exotic

I bought some assortments of blanks that weren't labeled, so when someone asks what kind of wood a pen is, I tell them it's witwap......... wood I thought was awful pretty.

Top Bottom