Replica Cigar Pen Prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

So after looking at all the great replica cigar pens from Martin I figured I just had to try it before my gear got packed up. This entire turn was a first for me. It's the first time I ever tried doing a closed ended pen and more or less void of anything that looks like a kit.

So the disaster was keeping it in round! I used a drill chuck and a rod from the disassembly kit to turn it. The female thread busted in the cap and I had to drill it out and use another one. This truly makes me appreciate those who do these pens and have them look so awesome (Martin).

5621531435_6b9650f67a_z.jpg

I used Curly Walnut for the blank, burnt the end with a lighter, and scrapped out a broadwell for the pen parts. I used CA for the finish and it wet the cigar band so I guess I should have sealed the band first.

Overall...there were a lot of "Firsts" for me on this pen so I'm happy about that, but I'm not happy with the pen. It will take a lot of trial and error to get it up to spec with the other great turners. I have no delusion that this is a great turn, but it is a stepping stone for future efforts.:redface:

Thanks to Martin for the inspiration and when I make it back to the U.S. I plan to buy one of his!

*Larger images can be seen on my flickr site*

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

For a first attempt I think it is awesome. I would be very happy to create something even close to that. But, I do understand the unrelenting urge for perfection.

Nice pen.

terryf

Tim, for a first try that aint half bad :tongue:

Seriously though I think it looks great. I'm not quite sure of the practicality of writing with such a pen but it sure does look nice. Persoanlly I wouldnt have scrapped a Broadwell kit but hey, each to their own!! :)

Thanks for sharing - when are you headed back state side?

wiset1

Tim, for a first try that aint half bad :tongue:

Seriously though I think it looks great. I'm not quite sure of the practicality of writing with such a pen but it sure does look nice. Persoanlly I wouldnt have scrapped a Broadwell kit but hey, each to their own!! :)

Thanks for sharing - when are you headed back state side?

Thanks guys!

Terry, the kit was from one of the first pens I made that cracked and I ended up busting the kit up a bit working to get it taken apart. Well before I picked up the rods to take kits apart. So no real worries...:)

I think it look marvy. With the correct mandrel it would be more fun to turn. I have done the disassemble tool trick myself. The only tool that I use that was not meant to be used for the purpose I use it for, is a tightening lever for my PSI square blank chuck. I ground it down a hair and it fits perfectly into the 7MM tube for my closed end razors.
I think the pen/cigar looks great.

seamus7227

Wow Man, thats pretty sweet! Yeah, my hats off to Martin, he really knows how to show off! LOL You actually did fantastic for a first, like many others on here, maybe one day I will venture into closed end pens. Just no time right now.

wiset1

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I wouldn't exactly say that doing these are time consuming, but it does take a bit of courage to jump into the boiling waters. I have a couple ideas that would streamline the process, but for now I think I'll leave it to the masters. Today I plan to move back to some Lucite for that polished pen look.

Thanks again everyone

jttheclockman

Tim

Being a first attempt it did not come out too bad. I hope you don't mind a different opinion or view. The overall execution looks great and the finish looks good from here. My thoughts though are it would be very awkward to write with looking at the second photo. The back end is big and bulky. May not be the right kit for that type pen. I don't know what the originator does with his pens and what kits he uses but it seems akward to me.

The other thing is I see you fell in love with your background and also think that has a place or two for showing a fine pen but not for every pen you make. To me a plain white background looks better and leave the artsy look for a special pen. Just my 2¢

Last edited:

wiset1

Thanks for the feedback John and I always welcome the opinion of others. True, it looks as if it would be awkward, but in reality it has a nice feel in my hand. I would have liked the larger kit like the Majestic for my large hands, but I wasn't about to scrap a Majestic for a prototype. Also, I do tend to stick with the same background for all my pens and perhaps with this one I should have tried something different. An old dog can always learn new tricks.

Thanks again for the feedback John!

MartinPens

Hey Tim, fantastic job! I like the choice of wood and the overall look really works! It is tricky to figure out how to get that break between body and cap to disappear to complete the illusion. I think you are off on a great start and I appreciate your kind words.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

wiset1

Thanks again Martin! I don't see how you make yours look so awesome cause this was double tough to make. I really need to pick up some new tools to try some stuff out, but for now this will have to do. Thanks again for the inspiration

Top Bottom