Replacing the lost Banded Ivory Mirror Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

I love making pens, but there was very little joy in making this one!:mad: Some of you may recall this very same design winning front page on the IAP. Well, it caught the eye of an individual who fell in love with it so I figured it would go to a good home. The folks at USPS lost it....go figure so I gave the customer the option of refund, picking another pen, or I could make a replacement for the one that USPS lost. He opted for the same pen:biggrin: So here it is...finished yesterday and pretty much mirrored design, but I think this one looks better. All the grain from the Banded Ivory lines up on the pen and I'll be sad to see it go...UPS this time.

6954285161_78fcccf261_z.jpg

As always, larger images can be seen in my IAP gallery or my Flickr site, both linked below.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Very nice.
What type of metal is the disk?

Did you have insurance on it when you mailed it?

I posted the link to answers you questions in the previous reply, but yes I had both delivery confrimation and insurance on it. I filed a week ago and they still haven't opened a case and they have yet to reply to my emails. Either way, it wasn't the customers fault so I had to make sure I did the right thing and take care of him even if it takes a while for USPS to work things out.

vthowe

Awesome Tim!

In your other post, you said, "just pulled it out of a bin at the big orange store"... what was it, some type of washer, nut or?

Brooks803

Looks great Tim! Glad to see you've gotten a little play time between work and new baby girl.

I hope your insurance claim goes smoothly! I myself might have to go through the same process if they can't find a VERY expensive package I sent out over a week ago!

yort81

Tim...i have to ask...when every i turn the Aluminum pens...they show finger prints and scuff and scratch very easy... have you done anything to protect the aluminum...and if so...tell me your secret :) (please please please please please please please please ) :)

PenPal

Tim,

This post confirms my opinion of you , your integrity ,your attitude to all people. I know it was not shown (new pen) for any other reason than further the knowledge base you share with us not to prove a point.

Coming back to the pen it is exquisite in the use of banding (boldly broad) bands as in beer kegs hold everything together physically give a sense of security not restriction. The pen IMHO separates, enhances ,decorates , pleasantly repetetive embellishing the concept.
Indeed it glues together preventing the bling of the top , centre band , as well as the bottom creating a delightful image of creation as I view the pen , nothing boring here.

It becomes a themed pen , a way to travel and display the pure joy involved in creation associated with being in the workshop. You make my day my friend.

Even if it was said by someone else may the force be with you on your journey by example.

Kind regards Peter.

EricJS

Very beautiful, just like the first. It makes my day when I see that level of customer service, even though it's difficult to face at time.

Congratulations on the excellence you've achieved!

wiset1

Tim...i have to ask...when every i turn the Aluminum pens...they show finger prints and scuff and scratch very easy... have you done anything to protect the aluminum...and if so...tell me your secret :) (please please please please please please please please ) :)

The short answer is that I don't do anything other than run through the grits and use two forms of polish on the finished pen. No real secret, I guess I don't think about those things...I just pull out a soft cloth and clean it off.

Tim,

This post confirms my opinion of you , your integrity ,your attitude to all people. I know it was not shown (new pen) for any other reason than further the knowledge base you share with us not to prove a point.

Kind regards Peter.

I do what I can Peter...part of the golden rule you know!

Very beautiful, just like the first. It makes my day when I see that level of customer service, even though it's difficult to face at time.

Congratulations on the excellence you've achieved!

I just treat it as if it happened to me. How would I like to be treated...? Seems to work out :biggrin:

Tim,

Sorry to hear the pen never made it. I am sure the recipient will love the pen. Did you get to enjoy California at all?

Jason

Yeah, it kind of blows, but what can you do right...? California was nice, but it was all business before I had to jump to Rhode Island for a week and then back to VA. I'm getting ready to head down to GA for 6 weeks for some more leadership classes. I'll get to meet up with Jonathon so that's going to be awesome!

PTownSubbie

I'll get to meet up with Jonathon so that's going to be awesome!

Oh jeeze......watch out Tim..... He IS a MAD SCIENTIST!!

His wife is nice though! You would think it would rub off on him....LOL! JK!!

You should have a great time seeing him. Be a sponge! You two will hit it off!

Oh yeah....nice pen as expected!

Brooks803

Tim,

Sorry to hear the pen never made it. I am sure the recipient will love the pen. Did you get to enjoy California at all?

Jason

Yeah, it kind of blows, but what can you do right...? California was nice, but it was all business before I had to jump to Rhode Island for a week and then back to VA. I'm getting ready to head down to GA for 6 weeks for some more leadership classes. I'll get to meet up with Jonathon so that's going to be awesome!

Sure is! I just hope you get a good bit of free time to hang out.

Brooks803

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:....Hey...I'm nice...sometimes :devil:

With Tim's artisitc vision it's me who's gonna need to be the sponge this go around Fred!

warthog

I would like to start off by saying that pen is by far one of your better works. Absolutly gorgeous. The other thing is this...can you really trust UPS? I don't trust them any farther than I can throw them. I just deal with FEDEX now. So far I have not had issue with them. Again...dang nice pen.

wiset1

I would like to start off by saying that pen is by far one of your better works. Absolutly gorgeous. The other thing is this...can you really trust UPS? I don't trust them any farther than I can throw them. I just deal with FEDEX now. So far I have not had issue with them. Again...dang nice pen.

The only safe way would be for me to drive to every customers house, but that's not going to happen so I have to look for the lesser of two evils. Fingers crossed!!!

McBryde

I'm praying for it to get delivered this go round. I'd hate to let that one walk off too. I still thik that cocobola scalloped pen you did is by far my favorite! You do some very very nice work.

E

PTownSubbie

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:....Hey...I'm nice...sometimes :devil:

With Tim's artisitc vision it's me who's gonna need to be the sponge this go around Fred!

I think you guys might need some supervision. :wink:

McBryde

At least you know what sweet tea is in VA. I visited my wife's family in up state NY and asked for it when we went out for dinner and they looked at me like I was crazy. Then they didn't have Dr. Pepper, I was ready to head back south after that!

E

wiset1

At least you know what sweet tea is in VA. I visited my wife's family in up state NY and asked for it when we went out for dinner and they looked at me like I was crazy. Then they didn't have Dr. Pepper, I was ready to head back south after that!

E

I'm from Florida and the wife has family in Georgia so I know all about sweet tea! The real problem was being in Germany for so many years and they think tea comes in a can...worst tea ever!

PedroDelgado

Awesome pen!!!

USPS seems to lose a lot of packages and that is why they are in finacial trouble. I just had a big piece of Buckeye burl ($120.00) lost. A few months ago they lost 8 pieces of Black Walnut 6" wide x3 deep".

wiset1

Awesome pen!!!

USPS seems to lose a lot of packages and that is why they are in finacial trouble. I just had a big piece of Buckeye burl ($120.00) lost. A few months ago they lost 8 pieces of Black Walnut 6" wide x3 deep".

OUCH!!! I think I would rather have the wood you lost than the pen I just made. Buckeye is amazing stuff

MartinPens

It's threads like this that are driving toward UPS and FedEx.
I've decided to create UPS and FedEx shipping option for my eCommerce site.
A bit of a pain, but I think I will feel more at ease.

Martin

wiset1

From what I've seen, there have been stories of disaster and loss from all shipping options out there. I think it's luck of the draw, but at the end of the day you'll want to deal with the ones who will get that claim resolved in the least amount of time and without hassle.

Top Bottom