Repairing voids and mistakes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mrjinx007

mrjinx007

Hi folks. In this video I show you how I repair a pen that ended up having a big void in it. The second picture the blank had broken at the ends and the process is the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iGVUteoOVo&feature=youtu.be
IMG-0253.jpg
IMG-0261.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

All part of the learning process ... you use what you have to do what you have to do !!

Woodchipper

Very informative, worth every minute! I finished my morning cup of joe while watching the video. I must complement you on how to "recover" a nice piece of wood to end up with an nice pen. Questions- 1. Was that sandpaper or a file of some sort you used to take down the stone? 2. I see the bushings but am interested in the mandrel you use. Brand and source?
Thanks for sharing as it will be most helpful for me and others, I'm sure.

mrjinx007

Hi Woodchipper. I use diamond coated flat metal that I ended up bending because it was too difficult to work with (too wide). If you are talking about the cone shaped holders, they are homemade white oak soaked with mineral oil and wax to prevent CA glue from sticking to them. I have a few additional videos on youtube and will be adding more to show folks how to make my "earth pens". Thank you for the complements.

Woodchipper

These were the metal parts holding the bushings; looked like the mandrel->bushing->blank. Went back and reviewed the video, didn't see anything as you describe.

Last edited:

mrjinx007

Ohhh, I see what you are talking about. It is called mandrel saver. Don't buy them from Grizzly, the ball bearings are flawed. Pen state have improved theirs.

mrjinx007

Very welcome. Am I supposed to get an email notification when people respond to my thread? It makes communication much easier.

Top Bottom