Reigning in the Redwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bpgoldo

bpgoldo

I intended to enter this years "Pretty Wood" contest. I Found three pieces of wood that looked worthy. Different species. Each piece had a special potential. Truth is, discipline to the basics of the wood, tools, the work, and finish doesn't come naturally to me. My instinct for "over the top" design is hard to subdue. I had to quiet the noise in my head that insisted, "more stuff" could make it better. I had to trust restraint. I had to trust the tree. Kits were matched to wood. Visions of competition and victory filled my head. And then....It was not to be. Sudden health issues visited us and time disappeared. Deadline passed. With gratitude, the health crisis did too. We're OK now. Yet....the commitment to working those three pieces of wood remained. So I did the work. This is one of the 3 pieces that was born of that wait. Redwood Burl. "Tapa Traveler" pen style. Natures magic.

Attachments

• TAPA TRAVELER-ANCESTOR'S EYES 101kb.jpg
    TAPA TRAVELER-ANCESTOR'S EYES 101kb.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 367
  • TAPA TRAVELER-ANCESTOR'S EYES 105kb.jpg
    TAPA TRAVELER-ANCESTOR'S EYES 105kb.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 324
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allunn

That's one beautiful pen. Very nice pen kit. The first time I believe I've seen it. The redwood burl is some of the nicest I've had the pleasure of seeing. Great job on the finish and photography as well.
Tony

bpgoldo

Thank you all. Rod, the others will follow. Sharing is the strength and value of this forum for us all. I am grateful for it, and for us, and for each of you.

SteveAxelrod

That's the first time I've seen that pen kit as well and I like it! Very nice job turning an interesting profile and spectacular finish on a beautiful piece of burl! Well done!

Top Bottom