Redwood Burl Triton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

Nice looking pen. I like your choice of wood. Is that a ca finish?

Yes. Berea's Triple Distilled Thin CA, ten coats or so, sanded smooth with 600 grit Finkat Paper every coat (sometimes every other,) then high speed wet sanding with Micromesh (blankets not pads) 1800 through 12000. With the MM blankets I no longer use Novus 3, 2, or Ultragloss.

I'll have a Statesman tomorrow that uses an even better piece from the lot of Redwood burls this came from. It is an astounding piece. Can't wait to finish it and show it.

jttheclockman

Haven't seen you here in awhile. Good to see you are still putting out some amazing pens. Nice piece of timber on that kit. I am going to have to get a few of those kits. Looks great and thanks for showing.

PenMan1

Nice job, Eric! Beautiful burl, flawless finish, interesting "lines" and crisp execution.

I, too, was not sure about the Triton...... UNTIL this component put some serious jingle in my pocket. The "Big T" has become my "go to" hardware! I make them all as rollerballs, carry nibs, front sections and converters ( which none if my customers use with the invention of GOOD cartridges) and can in seconds convert any RB to FP. Additionally, for $25 extra, I sell the convertible fp/rb and get lots of parts for customs.0

Kaspar

Thanks all.

... I, too, was not sure about the Triton...... UNTIL this component put some serious jingle in my pocket. The "Big T" has become my "go to" hardware! ...

Really. Interesting. Berea does a great job with gold finishes, but the Triton didn't look all that great in the pictures. Then I actually got one and thought "yes, this is a good looking kit." I especially like the cap finial inset. Very cleanly executed and classy looking. The only thing I don't like is how short the barrels are. Makes me hesitant to use a really good blank because it will waste a lot of wood.

I do wish now that I had done this blank with the chrome and gold accents version, as a couple of friends have told me they thought it would have been better. The Statesman / Redwood burl I did does seem to work better for the overall color scheme.

Thanks for the info. I will do some more of these and see what comes of it.

Top Bottom