Redemption

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

Yesterday was one of those days where nothing would work as it should..tried a few worthless wood casts..forgot to paint the tubes on one, second one died in the drill press,,second cast bubbled up, ca wouldn't stick to anything but my fingers and glasses.
after about 10 hours I gave up and decided to give it a rest..went back at it this morning and came out with a couple of pens..Both turnned with my new Michael Hosaluk detail gouge that I bought from him on Sat at my turners club meeting..man..I like this tool

Bocote and Cocobolo Cigars..CA/BLO finish..

bc-10_editedMedium.jpg

bc-09_editedMedium.jpg

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Harold, very nice work on those. You have chosen 2 of the more challanging woods from what I have been reading on this site as far as CA failures. Are these for someone or will you be in possesion of these for awhile??? The reason I ask is maybe you can track these as far as finish and if it gets cloudy or any other problems??? You said you used CA/BLO, how many coats??? Would be interesting.

philb

Nice pens,

I would say that though as Bocote has to be one of my favorite timbers! You can never judge what shapes and grains are going to come up in the finished pen! Even if you pick a piece with many eyes, sometime they never show! Then a boring straight grain piece will have many underlying eyes that weren't n the surface!

Great work!

PHIL

S

spiritwoodturner

Awesome pens! The Bocote is really very nice. Can't say I've ever seen any that swirly. Do you remember where you got it? If I was selling that, I'd give the customer an edumacation and get a lot for that one!

Dale

splinter99

Jttheclockman..They will both probably sell at an upcomming show..as far as the finish
sand 220 then 400 then 1500mm wipe with acetone..coat of blo..burnish with paper towel..spritz of accelerator..small drop of blo on paper towel..run bead of thin ca moving towel back and forth..repeat..after about 4 or 5 coats..another spritz of accelerator..10 coats total..spritz of acclerator after last coat. micromesh 1800-12000..wipe down between each grit then buff with Mcguires scratch and swirl remover

as far as cloudy goes I have had it happen a time or 2 but not very often. (mainly with oak for some reason).my daily carry pens get alot of dents and scratches but I guess that cant be helped. I started carying acrylic pens but they look terrible after a couple of weeks too

spiritwoodturner..The blank came from West Penn Hardwoods..they are online

Top Bottom