Red and Yellow Twist Sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

I made this Sierra Vista for a customer a couple of weeks ago using Red Hart drilled turned and stuffed inside of a Yellow Hart blank, then used the pen wizard to cut the spiral flutes through the yellow hart to expose the red hart. Boy I thought that was tough, BUT Then the customer asked me to make a matching Pencil. :eek: Well as we all know there is no Sierra vista pencil, so that means every thing has to be smaller and much more accurate. I used just about every measuring device I own to make sure this would work, including feeler gauges to set the dept of the cutter. As it turns out the customer is very happy with it. :biggrin:
Any comments welcome, and thanks for looking.
attachment.php

Attachments

• red and yellow twist.jpg
    red and yellow twist.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 401
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Little different angle on the twist, but very nice and I like the color combination.
Actually the twist and the cut is the same but since the tube is shorter and smaller the twist does not go as far and the cut ends up shallower. Same gear ratio and cutter used on both pens.

SDB777

If you had to guess, what kind of time(hours) did you have in both? And what finish did you end up using?

The contrasting colors really do show off some amazing wood! Well done!!!!

Scott (you want what.....hehehehe) B

maxman400

If you had to guess, what kind of time(hours) did you have in both? And what finish did you end up using?

The contrasting colors really do show off some amazing wood! Well done!!!!

Scott (you want what.....hehehehe) B
Scott, Surprisingly The pen took me about 4 hours to take the concept from my mind to the finished pen, which involved trying to figure the right drill bit sizes and how to get the red blank inside of the yellow one and how to set up the pen wizard. Since all of that was already done for the pencil it only took me about 2 hours. the finish is three coats of deft lacquer from a spray can.

Top Bottom