red/yellow/blue brooks blank full custom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

Got some PR blanks made by Brooks (from IAP - penturners.org - donated for the Pens for Kids project) and turned some last night and finished up today.

Yeah - the cold killed it. I had a cap all drilled out and threaded and as I was turning it down it just POPPED. I couldn't believe it. I was threading the 10mm tenon on a section last night and it went perfectly, so I thought I was golden, but when I turned it around to drill out for the nib housing it split in half! Oh well. Started another section and as I was turning the threads it just broke off where the tenon starts. Ugh... so in near total defeat I turned a black section from some of the regular acrylic and it went fine. I had a friend over watching today who wanted to see the process of turning threads and I just killed it. I was so embarrassed. :tongue: He was just having a hoot seeing how threads are made.

The corian, though. I made some holders from one piece of corian and HOLY COW that stuff is AWESOME. Turned and threaded SO EASILY.

Now that I know cold is the kryptonite, the rest of the PR should be easier for me to work. After blowing out the first cap, I roughed the shape of the second cap and then wet sanded aggressively to get it down to where I wanted it.

That red/yellow/black stuff is BEAUTIFUL. Looks almost like ebonite mixed with acrylic. I just need a nib and this pen will go to one of my kiddos for sure. I'll give it to one of the kids who gives me the biggest headache. :biggrin: That would be poetic.

I also had an issue with the section getting stuck in the cap. Turns out I didn't drill out the cap deep enough with the drill bit I use before I turn the threads, so the section was getting stuck in the cap and it wouldn't thread together and it was a pain. So I was tired and my head hurt and I though, hmm, maybe the section is too wide, but it was just under 7/16" so it should have been fine. After messing with it for a few minutes I figured out the problem and drilled the cap out the rest of the way and it went together fine.

And there's also a little spot in the red of the barrel I have to fill. I think there was a little air bubble in the material. No big deal though.

And no - the nib and feed don't match - I'm just using it for fitting purposes. It's an old spare that never wrote quite right. One tine is softer than the other, and always feels scratchy no matter what b/c the tine lifts so easily while the other is more rigid.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Thanks! Next time I work with this material I think I'll have a heat gun handy.
:D Keep things warm when it comes time to thread.

OKLAHOMAN

Shawn, your way of learning strikes me as the perfect way, just jump in and attempt it and figure out what works. Your to be commended.
Brooks what other blanks:confused:? I thought those were for me:wink:..
Jut kidding send every one to him.........I think:biggrin:.

watch_art

Thanks!

But don't send me EVERY one of those blanks. I'm afraid I might ruin a few - then I'd be upset with myself. I really was getting frustrated yesterday when I couldn't make anything work for me. It was really cold in the shop though. The heat that does make it out there apparently doesn't reach the lathe - AND I was NOT feeling good. It wasn't till late last night that the nausea went away. I need to go see a doc today about this upper respiratory infection. Ugh...

Top Bottom