Red Transparent Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cnirenberg

cnirenberg

Here is a true kitless made with some of Charlie's (Newlondon88) red Alumilite blanks. The black piece is just some solid I had laying around. I wanted to start making rollerballs due to the fact that I use them more so than a fountain pen, especially at work. This one has an old G2 refill in it, otherwise you would see the ink through it. This is really nice material to work with, it turns and threads very nice and polishes up easily enough.

I wanted to say thanks again to Charlie for sending me this to try out. Now on to the next one. Your comments are always welcome, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P3300002_1400x1050.jpg
    P3300002_1400x1050.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 316
  • P3300003_1400x1050.jpg
    P3300003_1400x1050.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 555
  • P3300004_1400x1050.jpg
    P3300004_1400x1050.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 219
  • P3300001_1400x1050.jpg
    P3300001_1400x1050.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Question Cris, noticed the cap is red transperent and body has black swirls. Did the blank look like this or did you add the black?

cnirenberg

Question Cris, noticed the cap is red transperent and body has black swirls. Did the blank look like this or did you add the black?

Charlie sent me two different pieces to try. The cap is a pure transparent red, while the barrel is the same color/material with opaque black swirls. I thought it was a cool looking combo with the two, or I screwed up the cap piece. You choose it's one or the other.

cnirenberg

Cris, very nice work. It is a great accomplishment to be able to craft a totally kit less pen.

Thanks,
I have to get the clip next. They keep rolling off the counter, that's what happened to my last one. I do have an idea for an interesting ceterband that will stop the roll, but it will be some time before I can get out of my head.

Rollerbob

Thanks,
I have to get the clip next. They keep rolling off the counter, that's what happened to my last one. I do have an idea for an interesting ceterband that will stop the roll, but it will be some time before I can get out of my head.
You could always put a kick stand on it!:biggrin:

ldb2000

Great job on that one Cris . A very classic and classy looking pen . The wire clip is the way to go for ease of design and install , you just have to make sure to leave enough meat at the top of the cap for strength .

cnirenberg

Butch,
That's the ticket right there. I have a couple of scrapped caps that would fit the bill. It's on my things to do list for sure. Steven (Skiprat) gave me a few pointers, it's now just a matter of time.

ldb2000

Cris , one of the things I discovered is when you bend the two legs that go into the holes , bend them pointing in toward the centerline of the pen . The spring tension of the wire will hold the clip in place without glue . It's a pain to get the legs into the holes but I find it works well and can be removed and fixed if your customer ever bends/breaks the clip .

Rollerbob

Cris , one of the things I discovered is when you bend the two legs that go into the holes , bend them pointing in toward the centerline of the pen . The spring tension of the wire will hold the clip in place without glue . It's a pain to get the legs into the holes but I find it works well and can be removed and fixed if your customer ever bends/breaks the clip .

Great pointer, Butch!:wink:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
No problem at all Cris:rolleyes:. Send it to me:biggrin: I'll take good care of it:wink::wink:

As easy as that clip is to install I will do a few things different next time. I like Butch's tip. I tinted epoxy and put a drop on each leg. Butch's method sounds much better and neater.

Thanks Mike, maybe I should send it to you to put your cool clip on it. I have got all the stuff I need, I just need a little time to get it just right. The garage has been hot down here lately.

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I thought it was a cool looking combo with the two, or I screwed up the cap piece. You choose

<snicker> COOL LOOKING COMBO!! :biggrin:

(I thought I was the only one who did that.. ):wink:

I like the look, and I knew you'd do it justice.. but now that I see it,
I think I should darken the red a bit more. I forgot how much it would
lighten up when it gets smaller.

Still .. looks cool!

cnirenberg

Charlie,
I will finish the other side of that cap this week, I made it to fit a piece of white alumilite. It takes on a totally different look on a contrasting color, and looks good too. I like this shade of red, both as a stand alone and in conjunction with the black, soothing like a Ludens cough drop...

Top Bottom