Red Tidal Wave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

First of all, so someone doesn't ask, I DID NOT MAKE THE BLANK, but I did pick the colors. The blank was a gift from Eagle and the main wood is Bloodwood. I went through a lot of thin CA while turning to make sure it didn't blow up on me. The pen is a full size Rhodium Gent FP, finished with Unaxol. I'm very pleased with how it looks.

200772215631_GentWaveFP.jpg

Comments welcome and thanks to those who take the time to comment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Gerry, I have not heard of this type of finish but which one is it, Unaxol or Unalox? Where can I learn more about it? Beautiful work and blank, Eagle does great work too.

Mike

GaryMGg

Gerry,
Wow! Gorgeous work; love the colors on that. The master blank maker really nailed it.
And you executed it perfectly -- absolutely striking.
Which Unoxal part #'s are you using?
Are you using their sealer and finish or just sealer?
The bloodwood is so clear and there's absolutely no dust
in the inlay which I presume is holly and ebony.
Smokin'!
[8D]
Gary

ps: Could you post another pic so that we can observe the parallel nature of the inlays.
[;)]
G

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Great job Gerry.

Discussing red and red and white didn't do it for me, but the pen looks GREAT!!! This time you had more "vision" than I!!!

Did Unoxol have any difficulty with the CA you were building while you turned??? or did you sand off the CA as a final "pre-finish" step?

gerryr

Ed,
There really wasn't any buildup of CA. I would turn for a while and then put on some thin CA, turn a while longer and put on more thin CA. When it got to the point where I normally start sanding I did just that. I doubt there was any CA left when I put on the Unaxol sealer.

Out here in "big sky" country, you have to have a lot of vision to see anything because everything is far away.[:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks,

Eagle keeps trying to convince me I need Unoxol, so I suspect I will get it soon - how was the "learning curve".

lwalden

ooops, and btw, Gerry, fantastic looking pen and finish. I normally use the threaded end cap on my Jr Gents, but I don't think that would have looked nearly as classy as the continuity of form achieved with the non-posting end cap. Beautiful blank, well done.

gerryr

Lyle,
I'm using the high performance semi-gloss, M284, I think. A threaded end cap would be difficult on this pen - it's a full size Gent.[;)]

gerryr

This is an update. This pen sold today for $250 with a stock nib to a first time fountain pen buyer, a woman too. This is the second time I've sold a full size Gent/Statesman to a women, and neither had arthritis.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gerry - Congratulations on a beautiful pen and even more for selling it! I need a few more pens like that,,,where a furst time fountain pen buyer wants a $250 pen!

GaryMGg

Congratulations on the sale of that fine looking pen.
If you care to say: Was it through a show or a retailer?
Did the buyer say why she bought that one as compared to one of your other fine works?

gerryr

The sales occurred at a very tightly juried show and she was absolutely fascinated with the design and the fact that the waves are parallel. The show had 250 applicants for 100 spaces and a lot of long time exhibitors didn't make it this year, including a couple of friends. Very high quality stuff.

redfishsc

Unaxol looks like a water-bourne version of what I finish my pens with. I use conversion varnish, which is a 10% catalyzed finish (Unaxol is optional, either no catalyst for "durable" and 3% for "really durable").

The upside to conversion varnish is it is insanely chemically resistant (not even acetone affects it unless it's soaked with it).

The downside is it is a spray-only and stinks worse than lacquer.

I may give this stuff a shot. Looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom