Red and Spanish Cedar Graduate FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

Been practicing my skills in segmenting. Here is my latest attempt and it must be ok as my wife has taken possession of it. Comments and Critiques are welcome and thanks for looking.
pens030_zpse68bae26.jpg

pens031_zps621306c6.jpg

pens033_zps49728bf9.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Phil,

Your wife displayed great skill and IMHO taste when she aquired this pen for me it is extraordinary,why? cause Cedar can be ornery to turn and finish with this glowing display of masterly segments, the shape of the closed pen nigh perfect, open very attractive and great to hold(no long skinny awkward to hold extended unbalanced tip).

Loved the wriggle in the grain continuity, in the top half impressed by the seeming window effect, the sheen of the finish presentation of the pen clear as. Cropping to the pen even generous would be better than none (too much space around) however for me it served to show each pen pic as an individual delight.

Clean lines bright choice of bandings in character with an overall pen to be proud of. A bright start to a gloomy cold morning over here. I followed your progress observing a willingness to experiment carefully with panache often lost in others desire to impress.

Kind regards mate,

Peter.

firewhatfire

Thanks for the kind comments. The photos really do not sho how great the color sheen is or maybe it does and I can't see it(color blind). I do enjoy trying all the new skills posted here, sometimes I can do them sometimes not.

Phil

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Nice looking pen!

A bit of trivia for you:
Spanish Cedar is not a cedar at all! It is actually a mahogany. Red Cedar is actually a juniper, though much closer to a true cedar than Spanish Cedar. Spanish Cedar is a hardwood while Red Cedar is a softwood! Spanish Cedar is softer than Red Cedar, with a Janka hardness of 570 for Spanish Cedar vs. 900 for Red Cedar. This really shows that the terms "hardwood" and "softwood" have nothing to do with the hardness of the wood itself!

firewhatfire

Thanks and I call it a good day-----learned something new about my pen.

Nice looking pen!

A bit of trivia for you:
Spanish Cedar is not a cedar at all! It is actually a mahogany. Red Cedar is actually a juniper, though much closer to a true cedar than Spanish Cedar. Spanish Cedar is a hardwood while Red Cedar is a softwood! Spanish Cedar is softer than Red Cedar, with a Janka hardness of 570 for Spanish Cedar vs. 900 for Red Cedar. This really shows that the terms "hardwood" and "softwood" have nothing to do with the hardness of the wood itself!

Top Bottom