Red Shank Navigator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CSue

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
This wood comes from property my grandfather homesteaded here in So California. I've never seen anyone use this wood for much more than fire. Adenostema sparsiformium ("Red Shank.") But it's one of my favorites.

All comments welcome.

Attachments

• Red Shank Navigator 1-web.jpg
    Red Shank Navigator 1-web.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 338
  • Red Shank Navigator 1b-web.jpg
    Red Shank Navigator 1b-web.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Interesting about this wood . . . the sapwood is the RED coloration. This is two sides of the same pen. I had thin branches and had to drill carefully so I could get the red sapwood to show on the pen. The coloration will just get more vibrant as it ages.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Red Shank, Adenostema sparsifolium, grows more in a "bush" form. Although it can grow to more than 20 feet high, most of the branches are less than 2" diameter. As it dries, it cracks and splits lengthwise quite a bit. It makes a great walking stick. It also is used quite alot in camp fires or fireplace along with oak logs for a wonderful aroma. It isn't in the cedar family. My brother and grandfather would whittle with it.

Last fall, when I went up for a family gathering, I was able to bring home a few nice branches. Only a third of that was pen blank quality as it fractures and dries quickly. Next time I'll bring a better saw and get some larger pieces of wood.

Attachments

• Adenostema sparsifolium 1-web.jpg
    Adenostema sparsifolium 1-web.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom