Red Palm & Malachite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodpens

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpens

This pen is made from Red Palm & Malachite. The white separation material is pick guard. You may have seen this pen before. I am working on my photography. I just got a new lighting tent called a cocoon. I think I like the glare reduction, but it may hide a good glossy finish.

200511722846_palmala.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Great pen, Jim! When you say malachite, do you mean a resin of the color of the mineral malachite??

I've been having the same problem with the light tent. I tried one called EZ-Cube. It does cut down on the glare, but at the cost of some loss of resolution. It has a tendency to slightly blur everything. Sometimes you couldn't tell if the pen was even finished. I too am still playing with it.

woodpens

Originally posted by Gary
<br />When you say malachite, do you mean a resin of the color of the mineral malachite??
I used Malachite Tru-stone pen blanks from CSU (via Arizona Silhouette).

Besides the lack of glare, I also noticed it makes the gold plating look like the satin gold hardware. It will take some playing around, but I like the overall effect.

PenWorks

Great looking pen Jim. Real good color combo and seperation. The pic is perfect too. If there is a trade off between the glare and look of the finish, I would take this one. You can see all the detail in the wood even in the malachite.

Anthony

Tom McMillan

Very nice pen Jim!! I like the contrast!! I'm trying to imagine, though, if I might like the clip better if it were 180 degrees---in line with the longer part of the angled Tru-Stone instead of the shorter part---But, it does look like a very nice design!! Good work!!

jkirkb94

Yes, Jim I have seen this picture before!!!! It was one of the ones that inspired me to do some of my early combination material pens! I bought some pic guard after seeing it in your pens and in some others. Thanks for the ideas! Kirk[8D]

WoodChucker

Jim, as always your pens looks great. I would have never thought to use those color combination, but they look fantastic together. I too, tried one of those lite tents and didn't have much luck with it. If I remember right, it needed about twice the amount of light for the same f-stop for a good exposure and my pens looked flat with no shine to them. Maybe I gave up to quick, but I found it to be a pain. Mine was only 12 inches square and I found it hard to reach around the camera into the tent without bumping something. Just couldn't like it. [:(]

R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom