Red Oak slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

154181_128905877169486_100001502242963_177084_3703580_n.jpg

After several fails on a material I had just cut into slabs with the chainsaw and blanked up on the table saw. It was super spongy and flew apart on the lathe several times. I NEEDED to redeem myself by turning a more stable substance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Last time I checked, red oak was pretty stable.:wink: Yea, I know, that punky wood tries the spirit some times dosen't it?
That red oak pen looks real good. Much better than the one in my pocket right now. Congratulations of a beautiful finish and fit.
Charles

Drstrangefart

Last time I checked, red oak was pretty stable.:wink: Yea, I know, that punky wood tries the spirit some times dosen't it?
That red oak pen looks real good. Much better than the one in my pocket right now. Congratulations of a beautiful finish and fit.
Charles

Yes, sir. The Red Oak was the stable one I went to after my homemade blank sadness. The wood was just too soft and spongy and damp. It has some insane spalting though.

Drstrangefart

Yeah. 3 coats thin, 3 coats medium. MicriMesh polish up to 12,000. I still need to improve the finish a bit, but at least I'm not botching almost every coat of medium anymore. Thanks, CA Activator!

Top Bottom