Red Oak Salvaged From a Pallet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from silent soundly

I am new to this hobby and this is my first post. I believe this is red oak, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I found a pallet made with some interesting wood. It had soft pine running across the top and three pieces of hard oak as the runners, about 2" x 4". I cut about a dozen 3/4" x 5" pen blanks from this burled? area it and here are some of my creations.

I just fount IAP yesterday and am absolutely floored by some of the creations that I have seen here. My work is hardly worthy to be here, but I had to share this awesome free wood with you guys and gals.

Attachments

• IMG_7634.jpg
    IMG_7634.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_7635.jpg
    IMG_7635.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_7666.jpg
    IMG_7666.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_7702.jpg
    IMG_7702.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP Nick!

Check out the library if you haven't yet, and try the search function for any initial questions.

Have FUN!

JD Combs Sr

Welcome aboard Nick, as already mentioned the IAP has a great library as well as wiki. both have some great info. Those are some good looking pens. I know you said you were new to this hobby but how long you been turning pens, those don't look like a beginner?

stonepecker

Hello From Central Minnesota.

Great find on free wood. Keep it up and feel free to post your work anytime.
Beginners to experts are all welcomed here.

Thanks for the compliment. I have made a couple of dozen pens so far. I have sold an few and have given several as gifts. The first few that I made are either with immediate family members, or sitting on the shelf to remind me of my mistakes. I bought my lathe about 4 months ago. I have watched a lot of youtube videos and am a quick study. Some of the pens I've seen here just blow my mind.

vakmere

Thanks for the compliment. I have made a couple of dozen pens so far. I have sold an few and have given several as gifts. The first few that I made are either with immediate family members, or sitting on the shelf to remind me of my mistakes. I bought my lathe about 4 months ago. I have watched a lot of youtube videos and am a quick study. Some of the pens I've seen here just blow my mind.

Yep, same here. PAS (pen addiction syndrome) is not covered by any insurance company I know of.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas
You know you're an addict when you can't look at a shipping pallet without wondering if it might be made of some good pen turning wood.

Welcome from Texas
You know you're an addict when you can't look at a shipping pallet without wondering if it might be made of some good pen turning wood.

Agreed. I have started to look at everything. Usually the runners (2x4's sitting vertically) have nails coming from the top and bottom. This particular pallet didn't have any slats on the bottom, so there are only nails in one side. Quite a bit of usable wood.

1080Wayne

Welcome from Texas

Agreed. I have started to look at everything. Usually the runners (2x4's sitting vertically) have nails coming from the top and bottom. This particular pallet didn't have any slats on the bottom, so there are only nails in one side. Quite a bit of usable wood.

Wood with nail holes is perfectly useable . They just provide a different feature .

Divingdad

Nice find with the wood. I have a ton of red oak, but nothing with that nice figure. I'be only had my lathe since January and didn't appreciate burls and spalted wood until recently.

Dave from CT

wob50

Welcome to IAP and welcome from Louisiana
Yes you do ww had a zero turn came in a really big shipping crate,oak and some curly maple but Dad burn about have of it in the fireplace dangit.

wyone

Nice work.

Be prepared to spend a LOT of time reading here. The VAST amount of information here is amazing.

Welcome and ENJOY! and do not hesitate to ask for information and advice. I do it often.

Top Bottom