Red Oak Burl...F for failure!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

This is from a piece of Red Oak Burl that I bought at a yard sale Friday....it was mixed in with pieces of drift wood. The dark spots are bark inclusions that cracked during assembly...I sanded the tube well hoping to make assembly easier. I guess I will be a beginner for a longer period of time than I thought; because I was also succesful in gluing the busings to the madrell trying to stablize the bark...! lol :eek: I guess I did learn another thing not to do...but this one gets an "F" for a weak effort.

Attachments

• DSC01460.JPG
    DSC01460.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC01463.JPG
    DSC01463.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

The cracks are not obvious to me . Dis-assemble it , thin CA the cracks , re-assemble , and I`ll give you an `A`. Always soak bark inclusions with thin CA before and after turning .

SDB777

Typically, I'd offer some awesome words of wisdom....but I have been there with the RedOak burlie bark stuff, and it just sucks! I guess if you were to try stabilizing it? Seems thinCA works, but it sure does do some eye burning....

About as close as I get to the stuff anymore is the sapwood close to the bark on those burlie looking pieces, then you won't have to fight with it during the turning.

You did 'one up' me though.....never glued a set of bushings to a mandrel.

The pen came out pretty good, I can't see the crack you were talking about though.....

Scott (dog is allergic to grass...just get) B

OZturner

Nice Pen Phillip.
It is the problems we encounter, and overcome, that makes us better Artisans.
You ceraintly did encounter more than you fare share of difficulties, with the blank and your actions, than most people would encounter in a month or more of constant Pen Making.
Like others, I can't see any Split.
Your Fit and Finish, looks fine,
The Blank is Spectacular.
In all a Great Result.
Brian.

Top Bottom