Red Mallee Burl Wall Street II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jleiwig

jleiwig

I got this little piece of wood in a box from Mr. Wolfe, and it was too short to make anything but a sierra sized pen.

Sorry for the cell phone picture. It's going to be my carry pen and I didn't feel like pulling out the lights and tent to shoot a picture of it. :biggrin:

attachment.jpg

Finished with only 4 coats of CA. Playing around to see if 10 coats are really needed. I want to see if the number of coats has any effect on longevity of the finish. Haven't buffed it yet. Still need to pick up some spacers for the buffing wheels.

Attachments

• 0201000801.jpg
    0201000801.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 386
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Justin,
Looks great. I love that wood. looking forward to your report on the CA coats though. I have a piece of Amboyna that is rough turned for a Clicker, I have just been holding off until I get some CA. Did you do anything other than turn, sand and CA (i.e. sanding sealer or Minwax's wood hardener as a pretreatment to CA)?

jleiwig

Justin,
Looks great. I love that wood. looking forward to your report on the CA coats though. I have a piece of Amboyna that is rough turned for a Clicker, I have just been holding off until I get some CA. Did you do anything other than turn, sand and CA (i.e. sanding sealer or Minwax's wood hardener as a pretreatment to CA)?

Nope, just wiped it down with some acetone I had laying around, let that flash off, and then the 4 coats of the CA.

It was even locktite brand CA from Wal-Mart for something like $1.95.

I'm trying to simplify my processes as much as possible instead of using the latest unobtainium stuff. We shall see what the results are! :biggrin:

cnirenberg

Nope, just wiped it down with some acetone I had laying around, let that flash off, and then the 4 coats of the CA.

It was even locktite brand CA from Wal-Mart for something like $1.95.

I'm trying to simplify my processes as much as possible instead of using the latest unobtainium stuff. We shall see what the results are! :biggrin:

I'm with ya on that one. Simple is good.

Rum Pig

Looks very nice:)

I would have thought it does not matter how many coats you put on. The only thing that should change will be the depth of shine. The finish should be just as long wearing. IMHO

chance

Ive never gone insane with a ton of CA coats and the shine on my pens are the biggest comments I get. I used to do it with about 3 coats of med. but have now switched to 4 coats of thin. The only difference is the time I spend sanding. My personal thoughts are you only need enough CA so that you don't sand through it on your way to 12000 MM. I love that wood. Nice pen!

Top Bottom