Red Mallee Burl Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

I made a simple natural burl edge desk stand for a Statesman that I made recently. Never throw away your scraps!

redmalleestatesmanset.jpg

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Yet another beauty! Did you use a funnel in the base? If so, where did you get it? It looks like there's a metal ring in there somewhere, but with your finishes, it may just be a reflection!

Dario

Wonderful creation.

I have to agree...I can't call a piece like that "scrap" [;)]. More like premium piece to me! Honestly there is enough wood there for one pen or posibly 2 sierras [:D]

micah

Very awesome! One of these days I'm going to try some kind of stand, but I need a few more skills I can see.
Thanks for sharing!
Micah

Fangar

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Yet another beauty! Did you use a funnel in the base? If so, where did you get it? It looks like there's a metal ring in there somewhere, but with your finishes, it may just be a reflection!

Thanks for all of the kind words.

Jim. I make the rings myself. The tubes for the El grande / Churchhill are a nice fit. The trick is using both of them. I drill the base to the larger diameter tube. Then I step drill the hole down a bit to the smaller diameter tube. So there are actually two contact points in the hole. The very tip, and then up higher on the metal finial. Makes for a very solid and precise fit. You have to get your measurements right before you cut the rings for the lower, smaller tube, but the larger is just trimmed, or sanded flush once installed.

Cheers,

Fangar

Max

Fangar, I'm confused.....do you mean that the small ring we can see, at the surface of the burl, is a piece of a larger pen tube? It looks silver not copper colored??

I don't think I'm following this ...

-Max

Fangar

Originally posted by Max
<br />Fangar, I'm confused.....do you mean that the small ring we can see, at the surface of the burl, is a piece of a larger pen tube? It looks silver not copper colored??

I don't think I'm following this ...

-Max

Max,

I will take a couple of better photos when I get a chance, but in all actuallity what you are seeing is more of a replective glare from the finish on the base and the joint to the finial. Anyway, it is a brass tube in there. When the pen is in place, it is not really visible.

Fangar

Max

OK, that makes sense...very, very clever idea!!

Thanks for explaining it..
-Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom