Red Mallee burl Gentleman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rifleman1776

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

I had a couple blanks of Red Mallee burl that needed to be made into pens laying around. Below is the result of effort #1. Nearly ruined the cap blank when my drill bit didn't want to stay centered and kept catching but enough (luckily) remained to turn. This is the full-sized Gentleman in titanium gold. Four coats of Deft spray lacquer. I didn't attempt to fill or disguise the natural inclusions as I personally like the naturalness of wood. But, this could be debated because it is what the potential customer might prefer. I also debated putting the whitish portion of the wood at the clip end. My personal taste finally dictated it go at the coupler end. What say the jury?

2007531151445_Red%20Mallee%20burl%20Gentleman.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kkwall

Hi Frank,

I think it turned out very very well![:p]

I agree that wood should certainly look like wood, and we should'nt always fill every void and inclusion.

The choice of placing the white wood at the bottom of the clip was a good one in my opinion.

Great Work.[8D]

ahoiberg

frank, a very nice looking pen. don't you hate it when the drill bits won't cooperate?

i personally like the white at the bottom of the cap, i like the contrast it offers between the body and cap.

bravo!

DKF

That is a nice looking pen and I am glad you posted it. I just finished turning a Red Malee Jr. Gent. last night, though I decided to fill the voids....very nice!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by DKF
<br />That is a nice looking pen and I am glad you posted it. I just finished turning a Red Malee Jr. Gent. last night, though I decided to fill the voids....very nice!

No picture, it didn't happen. [;)] Picture, we want a picture. Busy, leafy background or not. [:p]

johnnycnc

Nice looking burl there,Frank.
I think you did it proud.
I'll agree on the lighter wood orientation,
looks "right" to me also.
Personally,I will usually fill all grain or
none,but inclusions are optional for me as well.

BTW,that drill prolly just knew you called it's
kinfolk weirdos [:eek:)][:)]Just kidding[:)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by johnnycnc
<br />Nice looking burl there,Frank.
I think you did it proud.
I'll agree on the lighter wood orientation,
looks "right" to me also.
Personally,I will usually fill all grain or
none,but inclusions are optional for me as well.

BTW,that drill prolly just knew you called it's
kinfolk weirdos [:eek:)][:)]Just kidding[:)]

I wasn't calling it anything quite as polite as "weirdo". Was using other terms. [}:)]

Fred

Were you not using a brad point drill bit? If no then you must get the Drill Doctor and sharpen the bit, but don't use it on any brad point bits as it will not work.

The pen is excellent. As far as the placement of the white section, I always prefer to keep the grain orientated as it grew naturally. You gotta remember that Mother Nature is always looking over your shoulder and "She" does not like to be messed with.

Good job all around! [:D]

mick

Great looking pen Frank ..gotta love the Red Mallee! As for the drill bit....don't they all deserve to be called ugly names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom