Red Mallee Burl Desk Set - Finally Done

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

A week or so ago, I posted some photos of the Red Mallee Burl Statesman Rollerball and custom letter opener that I was working on. Well I finally found time to finish the desk set. (I am posting this here as there is a pen in the photo! ) :).

Please feel free to comment. There are quite a few little hidden tricks that I worked out on this set. All of the Mallee was trimmed from the same piece of burl slab. All of which I would be happy to elaborate on. The finish on the Pen and LO is CA. The finish on the set is many coats of Deft Spray lacquer, hand rubbed to a gloss. Still needs a couple of weeks to cure in a nice warm environment, but is quite hard and resistant as of now.

This is how it started:
burlslab.jpg

This is what I came up with:

redmalleeburldeskset1.jpg

redmalleeburldeskset2.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Oh my, oh my, oh my.......... Youse guys![:(!]

EVERY TIME I GET THE FEELING I"M GETTIN' JUST A TEENY BIT BETTER AT THIS STUFF one of you has to go and post sumpthin like this..[V][:(]

[;)]WOW![;)]

Fangar

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Simply Beautiful!

Did you consider cutting a cove for the letter opener to lay in?

Ron,

Thanks. Good idea too. But... I already did [:D]. I wanted it to be hidden though. The LO is fairly stable in the small cove that only contacts a portion of the handle and the center ring.

See attached photo taken on the router table:

20051210221411_cove.jpg

Fangar

Thanks to all for the nice comments. I wish I had more time to do this type of work. But with patience and practice, it is not really all that involved.

The Pen rest was turned on the lathe and drilled to accept a lower tube for a El Grande. The brass tube is what the pen finial seats into.

Fangar

Dario

The wood is one of the best I've seen. Finish looks flawless. Design is great.

All together, forms an excellent set. I am in awe. [8D]

Fangar

Thanks very much guys (And your Wife too, Chuck[:D]).

Lee Treeworks for the Burl. For those of you searching for a big ol hunk o wood for something special, he is great! When I emailed, he called me to talk about options and went out to visually inspect the burl I thought might work to be sure it was as clear of worm holes as possible. Really, I can't say enough about his service.

Now I only have 5 casing pens to make in the next few days!

Cheers,

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />James,

I looked at this five times trying to come up with the right words to say. I give up, no words come to me that are good enough. This set is truly awesome.

William,

You just said them. [^]

Fangar

airrat

Well Fangar for the first try at it I think you did ok, probably will do much better the second time. I will take the practice one off your hands for you.[:D]

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Do you plan on selling it. I forget.

Fangar

Thanks guys. This set was a special order for a coworker who wants to impress her new boyfriend. I this will help.

Cheers,

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom